Dress up for interviews?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Dress up for interviews?
By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

I scheduled an information session/campus tour today for Claremont McKenna College. But when I called they also said I should do an interview with an admissions counselor while I'm there.

It's not really my top choice, but it's a cool school and I wouldn't mind it if I ended up going there.

Here's my question....

I don't really want to dress up (i.e. dress shirt and khakis) for the interview because it's right after the tour, and I don't want to walk around the whole tour looking like a preppy snob.

Plus, I don't want to come off as trying to kiss ass or whatever during the interview.

Is it essential to dress moderately formal during the interview? I was just thinking a collared shirt and shorts......

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:24 am: Edit

That sounds fine to me - esp. in the heat of August. Just be well groomed, sit up straight(!) and sound interested and genuine. Good luck!

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:31 am: Edit

oh yeah that sounds fine.

wow i was wearing khakis and sort of tall shoes with a short-sleeved polo to the info session/tour/interview at case western (which i feel the same way u do about C-M). by the end of the tour i was SO sweaty and felt so disgusting and dirty i was almost embarassed to go in for an interview.

good thing it went okay.

yeah DONT wear khakis and a collared shirt. u will die in the heat like half the kids there. then there was the other half who went in tube tops and sickly short shorts...some people have their priorities straight :)

meet in the middle! it'll be fine as long as you're polite and interested. good luck!

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:00 am: Edit

PS - based on our tours last year: be very thankful that your MOM doesn't show up in a revealing tank top, short shorts and high heeled sandals. We saw 5 or 6 of those - my kids were snorting the whole tour!

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:55 am: Edit

It always seemed to me that if you want to impress the person you are meeting with, you should dress like her/his boss dresses. Think about that a little. (California people are excused...) :)

Has it crossed anyone's mind that you can take the tour in 100 degree weather wearing shorts, and then before the interview, slip into a restroom and put on a pair of slacks? Most receptionists would not mind watching a small package while you tour. Receptionists and interviewers would probably take notice your unique transition and be very positively impressed---it's just human nature to feel good about someone who is willing to go through that small accomodation: just to meet with you!

By Bbalin (Bbalin) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

What I was always told was to dress like you would if you went to your grandmother's house. That way, the interviewer doesn't think any better or worse of you because of the way you dress, so your true self can shine. For me (a white male), it was a white polo and khaki shorts. Sorry to sound like a motivational speaker.

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I agree Momof2. Attitude is more important =) I think college interviews are way less formal than business interviews. It's more like a chat, so make yourself feel comfortable (and sometimes too self-conscious could give a bad image...)

By Varr_Rdz00 (Varr_Rdz00) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

haha well theres just one thing to say
dress for success!!!!!!!!!:)

By Emma (Emma) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Everyone is forgetting the MOST important thing!!!!!!!!

EYE CONTACT

I cannot over emphasise this!

...and my only over one, is obviously if you are female, dress modestly!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page