Stanford Application's No Résumé Rule?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Stanford Application's No Résumé Rule?
By Asphodyne (Asphodyne) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Perhaps this is not unusual, but I was somewhat surprised by Stanford's application which expressly forbid any additional pages describing activities, awards etc.

The application itself gives six spaces for academic honors and programs, and one line for each activity (up to 8).

It seems difficult to fit any meaningful description into these spaces. I will have to rely more on the essays and recommendations, I suppose.

Any thoughts on this?

By Binks (Binks) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

Yep, that's how it was last year too. I guess they didn't want to waste time rummaging through all the things we write down to make us look more impressive. It kinda make sense. Although I did get rejected from them, I admire their stance on ditching the standard extra pages of resumes and focus on what's more important to them -- character. In conclusion, I urge you to express and represent yourself dutifully in that essay and those short answers.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:14 am: Edit

Are any academic honors part of your school transcript? Sometimes schools include them there, esp if the award is school-based, and then you know you don't have use up any of your six lines on something that the college will see on your transcript anyway.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:35 am: Edit

Could it be that they are just tired of reading lists? Perhaps they are figuring that if you had something meaningful to tell about a particular activity you might find some way to do that in an essay or some other part of your application file.

By Bitz (Bitz) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

They do allow a single page in addition to their sections. This can be a place to mention those honors, but only if they are truly important to you.

By Binks (Binks) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

My school didn't record any honors or activities on my transcripts. They only included my classes and grades, and standardized testing scores. And that section where you can tell them whatever you want? Please DO NOT, use all of it for the awards you got. Unless they're nationally acclaimed (in which case you should've probably put on your 8 lines under the section, I doubt they'ld do much good. I didn't use it last year cause somehow it gave me the feeling that they only wanted to see somethign life or death in that section. It was like "C'mon, I dare you to change my mind." Yeah, we had two kids from my school who got in, and they didn't put anything either. One of them was like "I just don't know what to write down that's not written down already."

By Sac (Sac) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

My impression of their application is that they are encouraging just what the most knowledgeable posters here are encouraging: not a list of every activity you've ever spent an hour on, but a description of a few true passions. Between those eight lines, long and short required essays, and recommendations, they figure they'll be able to tell what is really important to you and therefore get a good sense of who you are. I'm with them on that. I hope the students who post frantic requests for what activities they can add senior year to make their list of ecs longer take note. Quality over quantity.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page