Chorus

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Chorus
By Almondjoy (Almondjoy) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

i thought next year id branch out a little more and go into somehting ive never really partaken in:music. my question is, is it hard to make the choir? i kno all high schools are different but id like to know ur situation anyway. also, is it hard to make the chamber chorus. ive never sang in a choir before but i just think it would be kinda fun especially with one more year to go....might as well give it a try

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Well, again, as you said, it's very difficult to determine what your chances are or what your experience will be like because all schools are different. In my school, we have three levels, the lowest being Mixed Choir. The next two levels are Concert Choir and Chamber Choir. Both require auditions the year prior to entry but the Chamber Choir is significantly advanced. I made the chamber choir in my sophomore year for entry in junior year but I dropped it from my schedule in favor of AP Biology. And while our chamber choir is very, very good, I know a lot of other schools have very bad chamber choirs. So for now I'll assume that your chamber choir is at least decent. In any case, if this is your FIRST year singing in a choir, you'll most likely be placed in the lowest level or the intermediate choir at best. I assume your chamber choir also requires an audition? Have you ever sung before? And by singing, I don't mean songs you've heard on the radio. I mean actual chamber music or at least something more advanced like Broadway tunes. Unless you're confident in your skills as a singer, I wouldn't bet on your getting into the chamber choir (unless you fill a position that's badly needed like a Bass 2). Otherwise, try for a lower choir. But I'm sure you'll have a good time in whichever choir you join because singing's really fun. On a last note, if you really want to get into the chamber choir, try training yourself during the next few weeks. Learn most of the major scales and try practicing some simple chamber music. A piano in the house would be very helpful and I hope you have a good ear for music.

By Me1 (Me1) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

We have two choirs. Concert choir anyone can take. U just have to sign up for it. Vocal ensamble u have to audition for. Mostly that means for guys u just have to be able to sing on pitch (cos not a lot of guys want to join) but for girls it's pretty competative.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

At my high school, if you signed up for the class, you were in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page