How funny is too funny?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: How funny is too funny?
By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

I was wondering for the essay, how formal it has to be?

Can I put commentary in it?

"I begged, I shouted, I cried. Well, I didn't actually cry"

Is that okay? Or should it be kept formal?

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

It should carry your own unique voice. Maybe it's funny, or serious, or trying to be funny (or serious)...I would suggest just being yourself.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Usually you have limited space (if they tell you they want one page they mean one page at most). You are trying to write to impress them with (a) your ability to use grammar and make sentences and paragraphs that follow from each other (that is one of the most important things they are looking for); (b)usually a description of yourself (which needs facts and not exclamation points and embellishments); and (c)a touch of creativity (and emphasize that touch and not overdose). Commentary as suggested is not going to look like any of the above and is likely going to use up much needed space. The key to a good essay is to think hard while writing one; then when you are done with the first draft, throw it away and start again; after about the fifth draft start making edits to eliminate redundancies and to try to edit anything you have in every three sentences down to one. In expository writing, you always need to go back and read whatever you have written from the standpoint of someone else doing the reading. If, when you do so, it comes off as snide, verbose, confusing, shouting, or repititious, you need to rewrite.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot for the advice, i'll nix the commentary. If the college said to make the essay no more than 2 or 3 pages, does this mean it should be (2,3)? Is one page double too short? Thanks. Also, for the personal statement can the entire essay be a story and reflection or should you also write about who you are?

I was planning on showing who I was through the story...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page