College Dilemna

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: College Dilemna
By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

I was talking to my dad about the colleges that I'm interested in and I told him that I plan to go out of state. He says out of state students have a harder time adjusting to college life and it's not easy. I have a feeling he doesn't want me going out of state because he's too attached to me (I am his only child) but I have no intention of staying in Maryland. I need help coming up with reasons to justify why it's alright going out.

By Delfin (Delfin) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

make a list of why you to go out/benefits. toss out the superficial reasons, then give them to your dad; i usually find that oral discussions can lead to disagreements and other negative stuff, so i opt for the written/delivering method.

By Emma (Emma) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Well, i'm planning to go to an entirely different country altogether, so for you, no matter where you go, it would still be relatively easy to get home (of course unless you go to the opposite end of America). My dad is a bit weary because he said he'd miss me too much but he's fine with it(my mum thinks hes worried i'll go to america, fall in love and stay there forever).

Reason with him, stick to the same coast/area. As deflin said, put you point down on paper, but i would advise saying it to him point by point to properly explain them. If you go to a lot of effort into it, he might see how serious you are and how much it means to you (trust me, tried and tested, always works for me).

But to be honest, he has to 'let go' sometime; and even if you go to a college in the same state, big periods of time will elapse without him seeing you!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page