Should I even report my ACT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Should I even report my ACT?
By Brownsugar (Brownsugar) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

SAT: 1440, ACT: 29, small disparity there, right? Should I even make a point of putting that dismal number on my application? Or should I just retest in September?

Also, should I retake the SAT? Other stats: econ major, 800W, taking Math and USH later, start club, president of that and leadership in others, dancer, track (including state title), attended pretigious summer programs, internship, recieved a couple scholarship to pay for high school, URM

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

1440 is a high score and likely to be considerd better than the 29 ACT. Thus, using the ACT does not appear to be to your advantage and you do not have to submit it as the offical score you are relying on for admission. However, if an application expressly requests all your SAT and ACT scores, you should not misrepresent that there is no ACT score (it won't hurt you as the college is most likely just going to consider that score it receives on the official report from the testing center that you choose to send reports). As to whether you should retake the SAT, I guess it depends on what your intent for college is. 1440 is more than good enough for about 99.8% of all colleges. For the others, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, some other ivies, a few other schools, it is more in the middle or lower 25% to 50% of scores of typical persons admitted. Thus, for those if you actually think you can raise it you might try, but then if you take it and score low the college is going to see that score too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page