Question on Legacies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Question on Legacies
By Dan62887 (Dan62887) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 01:18 pm: Edit

I have a parent who is a graduate from the Harvard Business School. Does this go on the application to Harvard college? Does it have any effect? If so, is the effect as big as if the legacy came from college?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

To my knowledge, legacy usually counts if the parent went to that college as an undergraduate (just think of the even huger number of legacies created if they counted the graduate schools). That said, I think on the application, usually you do list where your parents attended college so for sure put down their colleges and graduate schools. I am not sure it helps at all if the parent just went to grad school there but it will appear on your application nonetheless. Just do not count on it as a big boost.

For example, I have a rising senior and I went to graduate school at Harvard as well. Actually her grandma went to Radcliffe too. My daughter has chosen to not apply to Harvard. If she had, she likely would have put it down but not counted on it as having any weight as far as legacies go.

Good luck. I am sure you will be able to stand on your own fine credentials.
Susan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page