Stupid Questions I know.....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Stupid Questions I know.....
By Meowmeow (Meowmeow) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 04:08 am: Edit

I know there are other things I should be worrying about, like where I should apply or whether or not I'll be admitted to schools, but the things weighing most heavily upon my mind involve the sending in of the applications. For example, if you use the common app for more than one school, would you just photocopy it, or would the schools receiving a xerox be offended? Should teachers write a single letter that can be sent to all schools? Or should you have them fill out numerous forms?

Also, when you send an application in, do you send it in a large manilla envelope? I've been receiving applications that are folded to envelope size, but I wouldn't feel right about returning them that way. Do schools want large envelopes or do they not mind a few folds?

If you can help me out, please do so I can move on and start worrying about things that may actually matter.

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:39 am: Edit

Well, at least someone asked it because I was wondering about the envelope thing too.

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 09:55 am: Edit

OK, here's the thing. If you apply common application online, you can just select the schools from the list. They'll add the application fee for each one of them. I am pretty sure that's the case, check to make sure though.

And about the envelopes, well, just put yourself in their shoes, or probably secratary's, or a student doing work study there. And now think about how many folds make sense. I don't think number of folds matter as long as they're done properly, and not crunching the writing from the folded line. Also all the documents should be ordered in the right orientation so the person (he/she) doesn't have to waste time doing that. Just use your simple common sense. Oh one more thing, it's best to use their envelope because there is a reason why they sent you one. It's a long story but aside from that, you get the point.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 10:47 am: Edit

I would suggest using the manilla envelope. It just generally looks better, and you don't have to squish everything in a standard envelope. It also definitely looks more professional and is going to be easier to read (I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to hold those 'folded' papers at both ends...lest they fold back up again if you let go). Remember, the applications are going to be rather large. I'm not sure you could fit all the necessary papers in a standard envelope. The manilla envelopes are also rather cheap. They come in packs of 100 or so. Actually, I'm going to be using the exact same box of envelopes that my brother used when he applied 2 years ago.

By Gator30 (Gator30) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

The admissions counselors never see the envelope you send in. Work studies (I was one in an admissions office btw) opens the envelope, makes sure all the documents are in the correct order and places the documents in a file in a huge filing cabinet. Each student has their own file (which the admissions office supplies) which includes all the documents we receive concerning a student (like transcripts, recs, etc).

I would say save your self a couple of dollars and just send it back in the envelopes included in the application packet. Using the included envelope also helps identify application packets easily, because inter-departmental is usually in manila envelopes. So a work study who partied too much the previous night is more likely to put it in the wrong place.

If you want to make it really easy on the people working in the admissions office, fill out your application ONLINE

By Binks (Binks) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

About the common app, most colleges all have the exact same app. However, if you check closely, Harvard's common app has "Harvard" written on the top of it. Hence, copying their common app for other colleges wouldn't be the greatest idea. If you're that torn over copying it, you can always just request one from the college.

And the envelopes, Gator30 is right, they never do see the envelopes. Still, when I did mine, I kept the presentation factor in mind I figured, a nice, unfolded page was better than a creased one, but that was just me. Also, altogether, my app wouldn't fit in a regular sized envelop or a medium sized one. While we're at it, one big tip is to send your apps EARLY (not early action or decision) just EARLY (timewise). Trust me on this.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page