Northwestern 7-year med program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Northwestern 7-year med program
By Yz16 (Yz16) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:19 am: Edit

has anyone else heard of this? Something like a program that takes you as an undergrad and shuttles you through med school - rigorous, too.

I can't find any info online from northwestern uni's site.

help please?

By Obh100 (Obh100) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:00 am: Edit

Its called HPME...

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/hpme/

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

Yes, HPME is the most difficult program to get into at NU.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

thanks!

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

is anyone here in that program?

By Fiza (Fiza) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

my best friend got in. but then again hes the perfect college candidate-hard to match

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:34 am: Edit

oh boo, hehe...
i guess i wanted to ask, besides the chem sat2 as a prerequisite, do you have to show med volunteering or leadership too?

nothing of the sort is mentioned on the website but that would make sense.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

No, med volunteering isn't a prerequisite, but it will help you!

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

yz-- if you plan on attending hpme, volunteering and leadership is definitely one of those unwritten prerequisites, particularly volunteering. If you haven't done any volunteering, you really have no shot at getting in. These programs, definitely HPME, are really REALLY competitive. Even for programs whose SAT average is like 1200, these stats aren't accurate since it usually means the program is really biased toward ppl living in its zip code or something like that.

By Marthpodi (Marthpodi) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:14 am: Edit

I was admitted to the program - will start in Sept.

By Senioritis (Senioritis) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 09:46 am: Edit

I am interested in applying for several of these medical programs but I don't know much about this one. If anyone who was admitted (marthpodi)can please tell me more about this program and what I need in order to apply, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 11:38 am: Edit

Senior-check out the books: "The High School Doctor," and "From High School to Med School." Complete references, you can get it at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Otherwise, the MSAR has some info also.

By Marthpodi (Marthpodi) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 11:58 am: Edit

Those books are great references. Also, check the website posted earlier, that has all the info you'll need on the program, its history, curriculum, and admission requirements. Like most programs, you'll need fairly high SAT I/ACT SATII scores (SATII MathIIc, Writing, and Chemistry are required). Also, a good gpa/schedule. Essays, LORs, etc. About 40-50 people are accepted to this program, and twice that many interviewed.

Good luck.

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

If you wouldn't mind answering, what are your stats Marthpodi?

By Marthpodi (Marthpodi) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

SAT I: 1530 (780M/750V)
SAT II:

Chemistry:800
MathIIc: 800
Writing: 780

ACT composite: 35

3.99 (UW))/ 4.5 (W)

Valedictorian, 4-yr varsity sport, clubs, volunteering (a lot)...

I think the most important thing for getting into a med. program is demonstrating that you have a lot of experience with medicine and a strong commitment to it. Medicine related EC's are almost essential.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page