Application strategy???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Application strategy???
By Almondjoy (Almondjoy) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

gonna be senior next year. anyway i was wondering what is a wise apliaction strategy. i mean, say i wanted to go to harvard or some top college. and say im also interested in a less competetive college like penn or cornell. well my options woudl be as follows:
1. all regular
2. apply to the most competetive (in this case harv.) ED (i kno harv has EA or whatever but just assume this for now)--increase chances by promising to matriculate
3. apply ED to PEnn/cornell and have better chance at getting in....

do u guy ssee where im going with this. my question is should u use ur ED card on an extreme reach or should u use it on a more realistic reach? cause if u use it for harvard u prolly wouldnt ge tin anyway, and then penn might reject u too sinc eur not ED.

dont say "do ED on your FIRST CHOICE NO MATTER WHAT". someone should kno where im going with this...

bottom line: if u think u can prolly get in somewhere if u used ED, and might not if u didnt, should u waste it on a difficult college like harvard? you kno what i mean?

By Rob (Rob) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

take advice from me: sit down by yourself and ask yourself "will i be happy if i am at penn or cornell?" If the answer is yes, then apply early there...cuz i was set on going to stanford, got deferred/rejected, and that obviously screwed my opportunity to apply early somewhere else. But...if you think you will be kicking yourself if you don't atleast take a shot at harvard, AND are prepared for the risk of lowering your chances to you second/third choices, then go for it. I went for it and failed, but others got what they wanted.

By Medprof (Medprof) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

If you are going to be happy in Penn/Cornell, go for it ED. You won't have to be jerked around by the "deferred" from Harvard or Yale. If you get in December, you can enjoy the rest of your senior year, instead of worrying about grades, updates, communications with colleges till April.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

I have been contemplating the same exact things as you. Apply to Stanford early, my dream college, and chances are I will be deferred or apply to Penn/Cornell/Columbia are have more realsitic chance of getting in ED. The thing is, if I do apply to Penn/Cornell/Columbia and get in early (and cant apply anywhere else - even Stanford), I will always have this little feling in me - what if I got actauly got in Stanford??? See what I mean

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

I have been contemplating the same exact things as you. Apply to Stanford early, my dream college, and chances are I will be deferred or apply to Penn/Cornell/Columbia are have more realsitic chance of getting in ED. The thing is, if I do apply to Penn/Cornell/Columbia and get in early (and cant apply anywhere else - even Stanford), I will always have this little feling in me - what if I got actauly got in Stanford??? See what I mean

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 07:59 am: Edit

Some morning at 3AM you will be looking into the bathroom mirror and admit to yourself that you have been yearning to get into a school not because you actually like it so much, but rather that everyone else likes it so much.

You will be able to go back to bed, and get the first really good night's sleep you've had in months. When you wake up, you'll take a fresh look at the remaining schools and discover that one special place that just seems to have YOUR name on it. If you think you'd be truly happy there AND it's realitic that you'd be accepted there, then you should consider applying there early decision.

It is a real mark of maturity to recognize that there are probably going to be "higher ranked" colleges that are just not in the cards for you. Going to college is such a great experience, it is very unlikely that you will have a miserable time wherever you go! Chances a good that you will be very pleased.

---

Not everyone will look at home in a Rolls Royce. Some people will actually look like they belong in a beat up Yugo--and will drive it with great confidence and pride. The great majority of us fit best into something in between.

By Almondjoy (Almondjoy) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

morgan u make a good point. but anyway, bnp yes i am in the same boat. i mean, we could apply ED to a REACH, which we proably would ge trejected bc of the ocmpetition, and then since we didnt ED the more realistic ones we might even get rejected there too. But, what if we "Settled" for the realistic one, and wondered "maybe ED at the reach wouldve gotten me in.."

anyway, what annoys me is that schools like harvard allow you to apply EA (which is NON BINDING BY THE WAY!) to JUST their school and no other. this just makes it that much harder on your app "strategy". now we have to decide "is it worth it to apply EA harvard for a 5% increase in chance of admission (i made that stat up) when i cant apply early to ANY other college, or should i apply to a bunch of EA colleges that let you apply elsewhere so that i will have something to fall back on by december". stupid colleges

By Medprof (Medprof) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

Harvad was annoyed because over 80 of the students admitted at EA last year had to withdraw because they were accepted binding ED elsewhere. They probably felt that their time was wasted so they changed it to binding EA to try to cut down the number of EA applications. If you have really good "safety" schools that you can be happy at, it may make it easier to use your early card on your dream school

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page