Ivy League Acceptance Rate

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Ivy League Acceptance Rate
By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:08 am: Edit

What are the acceptance rates for Ivy League schools?

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:49 am: Edit

Wow. Whatever happened to finding them yourself.

Princeton- ~9%
Harvard- ~9%
Yale- ~10%
Columbia- ~11%
Brown- ~17%
Dartmouth- ~23%
UPenn- ~21%
Cornell- Varies by college (from around 20% to 34%) Overall around ~27-30%

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 01:00 am: Edit

Some people are lazy. dependent. whatever. and we're too kind to help. maybe we shouldn't. so they won't get in college and suddenly realize that they have to do everything by themselves (what a new concept eh?).

Sorry if this post is too bitter.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 03:19 am: Edit

A42, I've tried prying that non-legacy/non-athlete/non-URM number out of several different Ivy admissions folks at different time. I think you're more likely to be given a workable plan for peace in the Middle East.

By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 08:55 am: Edit

People: I deleted several posts from this discussion. This College Confidential "free" discussion board exists because Dave, Sally and others fund it. The reason they can do that is because they make some income from selling college admission services.

When YOU come along and post links to other web sites that compete with College Confidential's paid services, you are "biting the hand that feeds you." Please do not do it! Also do not post links to other discussion forums. Posting a quote from a NY Times article is one thing; linking to PR is another--and is not tolorated.

Everyone is encouraged to read the complete Terms of service. Reading those "rules" will help you understand what CC is all about and will make notes like this unnecessary. Thank you.

<moderator>

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

I would say most ivies fill up about 15% of their classes with URM's, 15% legacies, and about 10% athletes. That adds up to 40%. Assuming a few people overlap into multiple categories, let's say 35% of ivy students are either URM, athlete, or legacy, or a combination. That means 65% are not. Assuming that the ratio of URM's/athletes/legacies to others APPLYING is the same as the ratio of URM's/athletes/legacies to others who ATTEND the school, AND that the yield for URM's/athletes/legacies is equal to the yield of the others, then that means the acceptance rate for non athletes/URM's/legacies is about 65% of the overall acceptance rate.

And that is my wonderful analysis.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 01:37 am: Edit

Cornellian, your analysis checks with my gut feel.
Except that I think the percentage of athletes is higher at some schools, like Yale. Conversely, the word I've gotten from several directions is consistent that the percentage of legacies is dropping every year. For my paranoia, I assume that the real overall admission rate for non-legacy, non-athlete, non-URM is about half the overall admissions rate.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

Yeah, it truly is amazing how much harder it is to get in if you're not in one of those there groups. You really do have to be an amazing student to get into an ivy without the help of being a URM/legacy/athlete. Although this is coming from an ivy leaguer who had no help from any of these categories, so I am probably being full of myself right now :)

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

LOL. No, I don't think you're being full of yourself. You seem to realize that you've had good fortune. Also [cough] Cornell is the easiest (not the same as "easy") of the Ivies to get into.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Depends on what school you apply to, TheDad. The College of Arts and Sciences only has a 20-21% acceptance rate.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

O71, that's why I said easier, not easy. That's still double the Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Columbia range...difficult but not insane.

For all students in the "pool" and for whom a given Ivy was a good fit, I would wish the confidence to apply, humility if accepted, grace if denied.
But taking things on an even keel is sometimes hard.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page