Are ECs and sports REALLY important???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Are ECs and sports REALLY important???
By Perpendicular (Perpendicular) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Everone says that ECs and sports and leaderships are very important in college admissions... espcially the IVYs... I am an intl student and I really want to go to one of the IVYs but I hardly have any of the above.... There's only 11 ppl in my class there's no need to have a "leader"... I hate sports... As for the ECs... I play piano and sketch.... I do have some pretty good drawings that I can send to the colleges... (but they have nothing to do with my intended major) I am doing IB and I donno if CAS counts for ECs... (by the way, is tutoring a kinda EC too?)
Since I hardly have any... I hope that strong IB and SAT scores will be enough... I've also heard that having strong tendency towards a specific major helps to boost one's chance to be admitted... Do you guys think if I tell the schools that I am 200% sure about my future major (Biology, that is) and enumerate all the reasons and write a comprehensive study plan (or during interviews), it will help me to be accepted?

My current SAT status:
SAT I : taking in Oct. aiming for 1450+
Bio M 730
Math IC 800
Writing: taking in Nov. aiming for 700+

I am aiming for a 40 in IB.
Higher Level subjects are: Math, Eng B and Bio.

--a prize in the National (China) Biology Competition for high school students.
--a certification for playing piano... 7th level (10th is the highest)

I will be a senior soon and I really really need your advice and suggestions.... thanx... ^_^

By Emma (Emma) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 09:25 am: Edit

I wouldn't worry too, much, as there is not a lot you can do about it. Likewise, i am an international student and am not rolling in ECs. America has an entirely different culture of ECs. In England you can fit only a couple onto your UCAS form but it seems that in America, everyone has spent the past few year building up pages of them. The colleges know (i dont know how much thou) that ECs are not concentrated on as much in other countries. But what you can do, is not lie, but jazz up what you have already done.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

Perp,

Always market your strong points.

You seem to love biology. Leaving biology out of your emphasis would leave your application sounding very flat---and is NOT a good thing to do---even at a college that is gets "too many" prospective biology majors.

My daughters had just a tiny number of ECs and hardly any kind of sports---they were home schooled. To colleges, they seemed to come not just from "another country" but from a completely different planet! What they DID show on their applications, letters, essays, etc was a love of learning. Convince a college that you love to learn... and you will be seriously considered.

In my opinion, everything else is less important.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page