RSI alums

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: RSI alums
By Ahhh (Ahhh) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Has anyone here attended RSI??

If so, please post your stats, as well as anything else you think that may have got you accepted?? (previous research experience, national awards, olympiads, etc.)

THANKS!

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

*sigh*
math team, science olympiad, acadeca. nothing national nothing exceptional. 80v/78m for PSAT.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Serene: u mean International Sci Olympiad???:)

By Goirulz (Goirulz) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 04:57 am: Edit

I'm sorry if I seem like a complete idiot, but what is "RSI" and how can you apply? Perhaps Serene can enlighten me =)

By Ahhh (Ahhh) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 11:45 am: Edit

Serene: if you dont mind me asking, which science olympiad did you participate in (physics, biology, or chemistry)? And how far did you get?

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

Is'nt RSI that pgm for the Center for Excellence in Education in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology????
Well am MIT alum asked me to apply..I downloaded the form. In the Teacher Recc part the 1st question was something like-Summarize the reasons you believe this student has the potential to become a leader in Science or Math - Well....most of my teachers....no actually all of my teachers can't stretch there imagination that far-so I did'nt even end up applying...:-(

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Ali Liu: I just said nothing national, definitely nothing international either =)

Ahhh: It's just "Science Olympiad", not as prestigious as the other ones.

Goirulz: See Rashmi's answer. Or www.cee.org/rsi

By Casanova (Casanova) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Hi Serene, are you THE Serene? As in RSI 2003?This is Casanova (the guy who scared you repeatedly, hehe).

I'm a past Rickoid, for all those looking for insider advice, here are three U's that the selection committee looks for.

1. eUgenics
2. Username
3. Unixness

But just to be save, if you are contending for a place in RSI, you should look into WTP and MITES as well (both are summer programs at MIT).

By Jokemaker (Jokemaker) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

GO WTP/RSI DANCE 2003!

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Casanova, i don't think she was an RSI 2003 alumnus, since she's attending harvard this fall.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Serene is still in high school, isn't she? If she's attending Harvard in a few days, my apologies.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:09 am: Edit

Casanova: I'm R '02 and Serene isn't my real name =) and LOL... go Center of Excellence in Eugenics (I suppose you benefited from it, eh?)! =)
Sorry I just checked your info. I'm from the same state as you. =) This is cute. a RSI 03er *sniff* *getting nostalgic of her own year*

Jokemaker: are you rsi 03 alumnus too? =)

anyway, I did WTP last year (at our school it's seniors only) and our team made to top 10. was great fun.

By Luda (Luda) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:58 am: Edit

I'm an RSI alumn. Now attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) 7-yr Physician Scientist Program.

By Jokemaker (Jokemaker) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

of course i'm RSI 03!

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

*applauds Jokemaker*
go RSI 2002! =)

By Casanova (Casanova) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:35 am: Edit

Serene: Actually, RSI '03 had a terrible boy/girl ratio (bad logistics on the part of Center for Excellence in Eugenics), so I didn't really 'benefited' from the program in the eugenics sense (perhaps you did? :P). Same state? Well that gives away who you are. It's curious we've never met in person (though I might have heard of you before though, I've gotten to know a few ppl from your honorable school) ...

Jokemaker: From your WTP comment I'm assuming that you're a guy ... hehe, GO RSI '03

STATS:
(At the time, no SAT I) 800, 800, 760, 780, three years of college level chem, two years of research exp, published research papers, science fair, president of math club, VP of two others ...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page