Amount of time spent on essay

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Amount of time spent on essay
By Calgone421 (Calgone421) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Do you people really spend weeks working on these college admissions essays?!?! I find that hard to believe, and a little bit ridiculous. I personally think 3 drafts would be more than enough...and this could simply be done over one weekend...

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Two drafts. at least 5 people proofread mine. =)

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

I wrote my college essays far in advance of their due date so that I could spend weeks rereading it and refining it.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Yep, you could do it in a weekend. Many people do.

For something involving four years of your life and $100K-$175K of someone's money, you might think it was worth a little more effort than, say, shopping for a new car or getting dumped by your bf/gf.

I made a decent living as a writer for a number of years. The value of letting a draft cool for several days and then coming back to is not to be dismissed lightly; this particularly would apply when you are trying to showcase *yourself* the best way possible.

I've sweated two weeks and five drafts just considering and discarding possible *points of entry* for a piece. I'll get some of my best insights for revision after my subconscious has had time to work and I'm doing something mindless like taking a shower or driving...too bad I seldom have a pen at hand in the shower.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

As I pointed out to my son last year, shooting for scholarships worth up to $112,000, even if you spend 100 hours on essays, your best rate of return would be $1120 per hour. Bet none of us here will ever see that in the real world.

Like most of life, a little more time spent in reflection can't hurt.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

I haven't written one word in any of my essays yet. Yet I've already spent countless hours formulating (and refining) them. Probably countless more when I finally get them down on paper...

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

essays do take a long time. i'm the kind of person who, for school, writes them the night before, proofreads for grammatical errors, prints, and turns in, usually getting a solid A.

ever since these college essays came about, i've spent countless hours thinking about topics, refining every sentence, getting it proofread, and changing things over and over again.

i'd say for such an important decision in your life, it's really important to do your best work on college essays.

By Calibaby_2003 (Calibaby_2003) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 01:21 am: Edit

It really depends on the person. However, I really think that some of the best essays have been written in a short time - some ppl just write in a very natural, great style - and please the adcoms, too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page