UMich Admission question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: UMich Admission question
By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

I'm a rising senior from California and I plan on applying this year. My stats and EC's are strong but I will obviously be applying out of state. Will being an out of state applicant hurt my chances at this state school? I am a URM and first gen. if that makes a difference.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:54 am: Edit

Being a URM will help you a lot if you have good grades as well.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 02:38 am: Edit

yeah, make sure you apply early, like october, because UMich is a rolling admissions school, so the sooner the better!

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 02:47 am: Edit

what's URM?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 09:39 am: Edit

URM stands for "under-represented minority", as opposed to an ORM, which is an "over-represented minority." Blacks, Hispanics, and Native-Americans all fall under the category of URM and typically enjoy an admissions advantage (otherwise known as a hook) when applying to colleges. East Asians and Indians are over represented in American colleges, and hence receive no such advantage.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 09:45 am: Edit

URM = under-represented minority

We're visiting UMich in a couple weeks to check out the Engineering program. It's definitely harder to get in if you are out-of-state. Under the point system used for admissions, in-state status is awarded points. Pretty sure they have a percentage quota for out-of-state too.

BTW, the tuition for out-of-state is surprisingly high -- perhaps the highest public university tuition in the country, and more than some top-quality private universities (e.g. Rice).

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Are you sure UMich is a rolling admission school? Also, how can I find out what the percentage quota for out-of-state is? Do they even give out that info?

By Boysmom (Boysmom) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

UMich is most definitely a rolling admissions school. I would apply as early as possible in the year. It's an easy application. No recommendations necessary. The latest figures I have handy say that 4% are International and 69% In state which would make 27% out of state.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Based on Michigan's prior point system, (see http://aacaw.org/umpoints.pdf ), out-of-state's were at a definite disadvantage and URM's at an even greater definite advantage. The problem you face now is that the point system has been scrapped as a result of the US Supreme Court declaring it unconsistutional in June. Michigan is going to a whole file evaluation system that is yet untested. However, you should assume that you will have a favorable factor as a URM but an unfavorable one as an out-of-state resident. Perhaps now the two factors will just even each other out. And out of state tuition there is very high -- around $24,000 a year now.

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

How early do you suggest I apply? How early do most people apply to UMich? I plan on retaking SAT's and SAT II's in October and November so the earliest I could I apply whould be November. Would applying in November put me at a disadvantage?

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

bump

By Boysmom (Boysmom) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

I suggest you apply as soon as school starts in the fall when your school can send transcripts and indicate that you will be retaking the tests. You don't need SATII's for UMich. And keep in mind that in the past (who knows what the new rules are) tests didn't count nearly as much for admission to UMich as GPA did, so to hold up your application for a new test doesn't make much sense. The difference between a 26 and a 36 on the ACT is 2 pts out of the 150 scale. But applying early has a big advantage in a rolling admission school. Also, scholarships are awarded based on your application and are also given on a first come, first served basis.

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Thanks!

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

As to Sat II's, Michigan does not even rely on them even if submitted. UM starts taking applications about mid-August. However, rolling admissions starts November 1, meaning all those with completed applications (including test scores)submitted before Nov 1 will be in the group that is first considered for admission.

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Do the majority of people apply before Nov. 1?

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

bump

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:39 am: Edit

bump

By Heatwave345 (Heatwave345) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

For that UM point thing, i got a 115/150. Does that mean i'm in for sure?

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

yes.

what are the new adcom standards?

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

bump

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I would recommend applying early, preferably in the fall. Don't worry too much about the out of state factor. It's not as bad as you think. I got in last year and I'm an ORM from St. Louis. In fact, about 10 people from my school did last year. I would worry about the tuition instead.

By Vietgrl83 (Vietgrl83) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:18 am: Edit

for the umich point thing? how do you have access to it?? Cuz I'm thinking about applying there but I want to my what are my chances..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page