Scolarships?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Scolarships?
By Mo222 (Mo222) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Sorry -- i'm sort of new to this:

I don't really understand what a scolarship is:

-- Do you apply for a scholarship or do colleges just give them to you after they have looked at your application?

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

If you are a high school senior and you don't understand what a scholarship is then you are unlikely to get one.

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

For scholarship from colleges, when you apply you also say that you'll apply for finaid. And in Jan/Feb you do all the necessary forms (FAFSA etc) the school asks. And then you wait.

But at the same time you should also apply for scholarships from elsewhere. Check out fastweb.com and ask your counselors.

And Beenthereil: Be more polite. Nobody knows everything automatically.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Beenthereil, learn how to use commas.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

I think what he meant in the question was that sometimes the colleges give merit scholarships -like you are accepted and are a ______ scholar. Do you have to apply for this distinction seprately?

The FAFSA is for need based I thought.

I am also slightly confused about this stuff. I am ready to be bashed, Beenthereil.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:14 am: Edit

When has that been important on the internet, unc?

By Pãezinho (Pãezinho) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:30 am: Edit

FAFSA is for need-based scholarships.

There are also merit scholarships for specific schools where they look at your application and decide they want you, and then they try to entice you to come there by offering money. There's no separate form to fill out for those. Colleges sometimes keep a low profile about them because they don't want the non-recipients to feel slighted. But you probably want to make sure you apply well before the deadline.

There are also scholarships for specific groups, like employees' children from a particular company, or descendants of defenders of the Alamo, or oboe-playing french-majors who live in Duckpot County. These are generally small, and you have to ferret them out, figure out if you are eligible, and apply.

You might want to go over to the scholarship and finincial aid part of this forum, and just read back a few months. It will probably clarify this for you.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 10:36 am: Edit

We had to complete FAFSA and PROFILE for private schools in order to be eligible for merit scholarships at all the schools my S applied to. Even with Nat'l Merit full ride offers, they required a FAFSA on file before funding the award. He also had to submit numerous essays as part of the merit scholarship process - up to 6 at one university.

Be sure and check with your particular schools of interest at the earliest possible date.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Some schools will award merit based scholarships automatically. Some schools require you to apply for financial aid in order to be considered for merit based scholarships, even if you don't think you will qualify for need-based aid. Still other schools require you to apply for specific scholarships if you want to be considered and some schools have combinations of the above.

When you apply to a school, you should inquired directly with the admissions office about how to be considered for merit-based scholarships. They will be happy to let you know what their procedures are. Also, if you go to the school's website, they often have information about scholarships and the criteria that they look at for different kinds of merit based scholarships.

By Mo222 (Mo222) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 09:54 am: Edit

Thanks everybody -- you have been a real help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page