Appended EC Sheet - How long??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Appended EC Sheet - How long??
By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Hey! I'm doing my EC sheet right now and wanted to know more or less how long it should be... or what length it shouldnt trespass...

the help and suggestions of other fellow prospectives, admitted students, parents, experts - anybody -is welcome!!!

thank you!

By Crystal_Baller (Crystal_Baller) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

don't put all of them. take a good look at your EC's and pair them together. they should be themed. then put in one or two groups of your biggest ones. hope this helps.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Yeah, they are themed and all. :-)

But still, how long should the whooole thing be?

2 pages max?

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

2 pages sound good.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

thx serene!

btw, i found out u are gonna go to harvard. im planning to apply harvard EA as an intl student... do you have any suggestions for me, perhaps?

also, what were ur stats?

:-)

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

1600/800/800/760/790/5 AP 5's after jr yr
math team/science olympiad/acadeca/we the people/nhs/tutoring/literary arts club/RSI

suggestion... well.. not much you can do now other than write a fantastic essay =)

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

wow.

hehe, thx!

By Ryanmilligan (Ryanmilligan) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:23 am: Edit

From what I hear, putting down National Honor Society as an EC doesn't do anything for you. Most colleges look at it as a joke. My high school's NHS isn't really that big a deal, as with most of them.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:31 am: Edit

yeah, im not putting NHS

By Bitz (Bitz) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Take note of the other three letter designation on Serene's EC's. While not the entire reason, RSI is definitely the hook that got her into Harvard. It's the most selective science research program in the country (and for good reason as its faculty and students are top notch). I applied for this summer and was rejected with 5 APs after sophomore year, 80 PSAT Math, 77 PSAT Verbal, and all while doing multivariable calc as a 10th grader. Serene should be very proud of that distinction.

Note: While I was rejected, I recieved a very considerate secondary letter after the rejection came informing me that I would have gotten in, but they wanted to refer me to another program that was working on my stated interest (cavitation and super-cavitating vessels) instead of having me research some other, unrelated concept.

By Iska (Iska) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

I attended an info session at Amherst yesterday. The adcom empahsized avoiding extra attachments if at all possible. She said to just use the space on the app. HTH

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Many schools frown upon attaching resumes and "brag sheets". Some actually specifically state in italicized and/or bold text not to do so...

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Bitz, I know what RSI is. I was also rejected. And I also got a nice secondary note, telling me that the reason I had was that I was Peruvian, and that Peru doesn't have any fellowship/sponsorship/wtv program w/ them, and that they only accept intl applicants from countries, which can pay for their costs.

as you could image, i was extremely mad. later they told me, tho, that they were going to forward my file to MIT.

By Ahhh (Ahhh) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Serene..what exactly did you put on your RSI application? I know tons of people whom have been rejected with amazing stats, just likes yours!

Had you done some previous research? or win science fairs? or have any other form of national recognition?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page