How many volunteer hours will you have done by the end of HS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: How many volunteer hours will you have done by the end of HS
By Innotof (Innotof) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

I'm curious...how many hours of community service will you have completed by the end of high school?

By Heatwave345 (Heatwave345) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Theoretically I should have 200 (50 each year)...

By Firedup17 (Firedup17) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

By Heatwave345 (Heatwave345) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Theoretically I should have 200 (50 each year)...

wow, i feel so bad now.....

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Why? It wasn't my choice, those are just the requirements for my school's Key Club.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

i've got about 100

By Smiley (Smiley) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

About 4-500 from summer volunteering, 100 from peer tutoring, 200 from helping at afterschool programs, 100 from volunteering in classrooms at elementary school... not sure how to count social service committee things, fundraiser organizing, etc.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

For my hospital, I'll have 300 by the end of the summer.

For Church, 1 hr. week (since 3rd grade) (150 hrs. total)

For baseball, probably 3 hr./week for 3 months (about 100 hrs. total)

Miscellaneous (tutoring, town-sponsored stuff - another 50 hrs.)

Yeah, so about 600 hours.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

about 100 (community + school)

By Magicdragonfly (Magicdragonfly) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

...hmm..now if i had rides or could drive i'd actually have a decent amount of hours..but noo..

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 12:08 am: Edit

hehe I feel special....1800

By Jfb (Jfb) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 04:27 am: Edit

0 hours.

Quick Rant: I'm a firm believer you should just be yourself, do what you love, and express it well enough to show those looking at your application that you didn't try to pad your resume/application. College admissions folks tend to be a pretty smart bunch in actuality, and if you think getting a lot community service hours needlessly will improve your chances of admission, it's not a good idea. If you're honestly passionate about giving and helping, then do it.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 07:38 am: Edit

JFB, you are absolutely right. I have like 10 or so hours but thats because I did them through an activity that I actually enjoy: a political internship (I helped blind/retarded constituents fill out these forms).

Colleges don't put as much emphasis on community service as some might think.

After a while the whole teaching-retarded-kids-to-play-softball thing gets old, and they see it for exactly what it is: something kids do simply to put on an application.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:36 am: Edit

You guys are funny...

wishful thinking

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:53 am: Edit

I haven't done any. But then again, I heard being in band gives you volunteer hours. Don't know how. Everyone's confused about that one. I guess because of the parades and football games we go to.

By Bitz (Bitz) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

1540 hours divided as follows:

800 hours tutoring (5 hours * 40 weeks * 4 years)

220 hours with Lawrence Boys and Girls Club teaching science experiments (5 hours * 22 weeks * 2 years)

200 total hours as an assistant coach for two different youth baseball teams - one with 7-9 year olds and one with 11-13 year olds (5 hours * 10 weeks * 4 years)

320 hours with a religious tolerance group (4 hours * 40 weeks * 2 years)

To any nay-sayers, yes, I do enjoy each of these service opportunities.

By Stephenpmi (Stephenpmi) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

By Apguy (Apguy) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I'd rather be doing something I love or want to pursue on my own too, but "0 hours" is going to hurt you pretty badly. Adcoms expect a lot of CS hours so they aren't going to bother listening to one kid's rationalization.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Try REALLY hard to find something you are interested in and then see if you can find a non-profit that can use your help. Be creative! Ex. - my son spent a summer formatting, troubleshooting and rebuilding computers for the local Boys & Girls Clubs. He loved it, got some good experience and they received 15-20 hrs/wk. free labor. He couldn't find a paying job doing anything nearly so interesting.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

1100 hours of tutoring,
200 hours at hospital,
200 hours at library,
50-100 hours miscellaneous

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Yea, but see, I do those charities where you don't get volunteer hours. I will be signing up for 5k runs to help breast cancer. I've done walks where you make money for babies with birth defects and all. They can't tell me just because I didn't "volunteer" I'm a horrible person. I donate to charities all the time.

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

300ish

By Jfb (Jfb) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

"0 hours," I wrote earlier.

I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear, but I've already been accepted! This is NOT wishful thinking. I'm trying to tell you that community service hours aren't important unless you make them important. It's like everything else. Do what you love, and explain why that's notable in your essays. Admissions folks are better than you think, and they know a resume-fluffer when they see one. Community service hours are meaningless unless you make them meaningful, and that'll be obvious to those looking.

With 0 hours, I got in at Northwestern and NYU my two top choices.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:32 am: Edit

Quote:

With 0 hours, I got in at Northwestern and NYU my two top choices.

Didn't you get waitlist first at NYU? I think many of the kids here would prefer the security of not getting waitlisted. No matter how small something will increase your chance of acceptance, people will take it.

And many people here are aiming for HYP...which rejected you.

I noticed you said a while back:

Quote:

I've produced a $40,000 feature-length film

Not all of us have an EC that large to fall back on for our lack of community service hours.

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 04:06 am: Edit

how exactly do colleges confirm these hours? I've volunteered teaching mock trial at my high school (prolly 100-200 hrs in 3 yrs) and I did it godforbid because I LIKED IT and didnt want to spice up my application, so I never got to offically time it. However, under EC's I do plan on mentioning it and putting it like any other acitivity I have, except I'll label it "Volunteer coach"

eh? or should I have just sold out and did the volunteering because I want to get into HYP and not to actually help another human

By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 07:04 am: Edit

What is this thing about volunteering in the American college system! In England, it is not even talked about when applying to universities!

Would:

Helping an elderly neighbour rearrange her house for her husband getting back from hospital

plus

Logging walks for people in the countryside in Northumberland (county in the North of England)

plus

Helping at an Annual Elderly Christmas Party

plus

Helping/taking part in charity events (fashion show model, dance show, jumble sales, christmas fair)

count for anything? or would it be a see-through attempt to try and fit in with the American style of having a billion volunteer hours?

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:09 am: Edit

Could anybody please answer Emma's question because I have the same question. What are the things which you can do????
I once taught at a month long literacy camp for poor children(about 30 hrs)-will this count???

By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:14 am: Edit

If you did it for money, its work which you can put down too and will sound good

...and if it's volunteered time, sounds to me as if it's a good volunteer example,

but then again, i'm clueless on the subject!

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:26 am: Edit

No-I did'nt do it for money.
Yippee....so I've got a few volunteer hours. I'm sure if I sit down and think it out I'll remember many more such camps and drives. Here we do a lot of newspaper-drives - that's collecting newspaper from almost every house in town and then selling it. The money is then given to help the poor.

By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 09:30 am: Edit

Sounds good to me!

Yea, i thought i had nothing and then thought of those, assuming that they are indeed things that can be counted as volunteering...

still want someone to tell me!!! ...please?

(was the same with ECs, could only come up with a few till i sat down and realised i had more than i had initially thought)

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Quote:

Helping an elderly neighbour rearrange her house for her husband getting back from hospital

Not really. But it's nice.

Quote:

Logging walks for people in the countryside in Northumberland (county in the North of England)

No. But it's nice.

Quote:

Helping at an Annual Elderly Christmas Party

Yes. But that's not exactly anything impressive.

Quote:

Helping/taking part in charity events

Yes, and that's your best bet. Helping at a Christmas party may count as "volunteering", but they want to see "commitment" which one night simply does not have. Volunteering at a good charity for some time will.

By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

So should i leave out the others, or just rearrange the order?

And the xmas party is every year, so i guess i should have worded that better, good thing it came out now!

o, and i'm obviously going to word it better

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Actually, my son grouped several annual events together with a total for all. I can't remember the exact wording; something like "Facility set-up, pricing, clean-up for annual XXX charity auction, 4 yrs.; preparation and dist. of school supplies for XX, 3 yrs.; organization & dist. of Salvation Army Project Christmas, 3 yrs." I think it totalled 125 hrs. or so. No one questioned it and he was accepted, so apparently that was OK.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Guess I should add he had another maybe 120 hrs. at the local Boys and Girls Clubs, along with church volunteer activities, which he listed just that way.

By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

hehe ie much better than me!

Are American just nicer people? or Americans obsessed with getting into college? or is it just not optional not to?

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Can't speak for others, but our boys got involved in most activities alongside one or both of their parents. The Christmas Project thing came about 1 year because the fire dept. had such a manpower shortage they couldn't lend their usual aid and the whole toy giveaway was in jeopardy. (They have over 800 children on their list and give turkeys, etc. to each family.) Since the kids had much more time off than we did, it was something to keep him busy and useful for a few days before Christmas. He liked it so much it's became an annual thing - it really puts him in the right spirit. He hopes his finals schedule this year will allow him to take part again. We honestly never thought about hrs. for college until we started looking at applications.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

60. That's how many is required at my school and I'm only doing the minimum! I know that's bad but who cares? I hate volunteering :)

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

by the END of high school, i'll have around 200-250. by the time i apply, i will only have...150? ish.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Maybe 40.

If colleges want to hold that against me, they are welcome to do so.

Do you think colleges will understand that I spent my 500+ hours at WORK instead of on some makes-others-love-me volunteer job and let my obscenely rich parents (haha, right) pay for everything else?

Never mind, I don't care.

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Don't be angry at the people who actually volunteered, and please don't stereotype. Working looks very good to colleges as well...don't worry.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 10:25 am: Edit

I sure hope some of you find volunteering more attractive when you become adults. Otherwise, who is going to deliver Meals on Wheels to all us elderly parents in about 30 years??? :)

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Let's see:

-600-700 in my Church Orchestra (*so* much fun to play in)
-200 at my unpaid law internship this summer
-Another 75 as a counselor at a kickass arts camp for preschool/elementary school kids.
-50 as a coach for a middle-school Academic League team. No longer exists though. :-(
-Miscellaneous stuff, I'd say ~50.
So a bit over 1000 by the end of HS.

Moral of the story- find something you love to do. I love to play violin, I have an interest in the law. Bam! The church orchestra has been a wonderful, wonderful experience for me and I'm really loving my internship too. I actually got into the orchestra in 8th grade-- I could care less about college at that age! :-D Working with kids at the camp/team were a blast too-- and I picked up better interpersonal skills as well. If you enjoy what you do, it won't be hard to rack up the hours and still have fun. :)

By Emma (Emma) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

What... an unpaid internship is work experience isnt it?!? You benefit from it directly, not a service to your community!

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Good point Emma, I've always been confused by this point. I've heard people say that only paid work experience counts as such, while unpaid is considered "service."

Anyone want to clarify?

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

200hrs for Tutoring at Elementary Homework Club
150hrs from Feminist Majority Foundation

Not that much, but I did more working than volunteering>> supporting my family was much more important than helping people that I don't even know...

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

HH - that's a fine amount for someone also working a job. Mind telling us what the Feminist Majority Foundation is? Just piqued my curiosity...

By Emma (Emma) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Congresssenator, I may be wrong, but hmmm well i'd say, a job is well yea, a job
work experience (i suppose can include jobs in the broad term) but i use it more for unpaid work you do to get experience in a field and to get experience of the real world behind you
and then voluntary work would be community service stuff (but say you did unpaid tutoring, i would include it here because you're hardly in an office 'experiencing' a company)

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Feminist Majority Foundation is the organization that supports women's right. The main office is in Arlington, VA, and I happen to live fairly close to the office building. Besides, I strongly support feminist actions (not extreme) as a individual woman in america. Anyways, that's what Feminist Majority Foundation is for.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Thanks! I'm just surprised I'm not on their mailing list. Between non-profs, Amazon, catalogs and colleges, my postman hates our family.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

They wouldn't mail you anything unless you ask for it.

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:49 am: Edit

Congresssenator
Being on the church orchestra is volunteering????
wowww.....I've been in my church choir since I was like 10 years old and for the past 3-4 years I have been doing a lot of lead vocals. So is this volunteering????

Ok..and where exactly do you put in the no. of volunteer hrs on the app.? I have'nt seen it anywhr on the app... so do you put it in your EC/Activity section?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page