2nd visit needed?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: 2nd visit needed?
By Dragonman (Dragonman) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

My mother and I are planning a college visiting trip in a week or so. My first choice school is Cornell and I think Im applying ED. My mother thinks that we should stop by Cornell even though we already visited once. She thinks it will somehow help me show devotion or something like that. What do you guys think, would the admissions officers even notice? Cornell doesn't even offer pre application interviews. I really need some feedback because Im planning my trip and its coming up fast. Thanks.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

If it doesn't cost you anything sure, visit won't hurt. The only way a visit helps in admission process as I see is then you will have more things to talk about with your interviewer.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

If you can fit it in with your travel plans, visit again just to be absolutely certain before you apply ED. You may see if you can arrange a visit with a professor from the department you're most interested in through the admissions office.
Good luck - let us know how it goes on your visits.

By Dragonman (Dragonman) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

thanks for the info

By Jtvoyager (Jtvoyager) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

You're in the same exact boat as me (ed cornell considered second visit etc.) I went up again and spent a day checking everything out, seeing the sights and such. Its a really good idea if Cornell is your first choice to visit again. For me it just confirmed that it was my first choice.

By Dragonman (Dragonman) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

thats cool Jtvoyager. Did you do anything else like talk to some people or something?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

I would advise a second visit if it is something you could work out to arrange. I would not do it for the reason of showing admissions so much though. I would advise returning just to delve deeper into the school than you did on your first visit and to reaffirm that this college is indeed where you want to attend and apply early.

We usually already met with professors on our first visit so my child could learn more about the programs in her desired major first hand. We are considering a second visit at her top choices as she is in the midst of deciding on where to apply early. The second visit would be to meet again with faculty and staff in the department, attend classes, do an overnight in the dorms, meet with coaches if possible, and to further explore certain EC opportunities in the areas she is currently involved in during high school. We did some of this on the first visit but that visit also included tours and info. sessions and so the second visit would leave time for going to classes, additional appts., or on campus overnights. That is hard to do all that in the first visit or at every school but is worth doing in my opinion when finalizing a decision as to where to committ to applying early (or same could be said come spring when deciding which school to enroll in....if one is so lucky to have a choice with some of their top choices).
Susan

PS.....do it for the right reasons but also you would want admissions to know you had investigated the college to this degree....either by dropping them a note to that affect or including such specifics within an essay that deals with "why such and such college".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page