Good Score, But Not Being Recruited?!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Good Score, But Not Being Recruited?!?
By L_Bird (L_Bird) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

When i took both the ACT and SAT, i checked the No box when asked if i wanted them to send me information about scholarships, etc. i was already getting, and still do get, two to three pieces of mail from colleges every single day, and i didn't think i'd need to be on any more mailing lists.

i scored pretty well on both tests, and everyone i speak to now asks, "So, have you been offered a full ride yet? How many schools are recruiting you?" In truth, i haven't gotten more than the average form letter and an occasional application from any school, not even the ones i sent my scores to. Is it too early? Is it because i checked No? i'm starting to have nightmares about that stupid Yes or No box!!

If anyone has any ideas as to what i can do to start getting scholarship offers from colleges, please let me know. i'm getting really worried.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:48 pm: Edit

LOL

By Mythspinner (Mythspinner) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I wouldn't worry. True, your mailbox won't be overflowing with solicitations from colleges across the U.S.. But the colleges that would have been 'recruiting' you are doing so in accordance to their full ride/scholarship policies. Many schools do their 'recruiting' by computer, so if for example you scored 1300+ on SAT or maybe 27+ on ACT they'll mail you info saying that they'll give you a scholarship. But if you apply to that school without being 'recruited', and you're accepted, you'll still get that same scholarship. The only downside is that you won't find out about the scholarships beforehand. If you use internet/guidance counselor to find the schools you want to apply to, the school's website will have the same info as all the little info packets they would have sent you. And if you're accepted you'll still get that free/partial ride.

If you're worried about getting applications go to the school's website and ask to be put on the mailing list.

By Ryanmilligan (Ryanmilligan) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Bird, I wouldn't worry. I was getting mail from a bunch of good schools like Purdue and Illinois, and ever since I got my ACT scores in June (35), I've gotten one letter from some school in Wyoming.

By Mike (Mike) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I got at lot more college junk mail after the PSATs. After my SATs I have gotten apps and letters from some of the colleges I visited. Some were very personal and others were just form letters.

By L_Bird (L_Bird) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Thank you, all of your replies make me feel a lot better. i guess it's not the end of the world if i have to search for the scholarships myself...but wouldn't it be nicer to be fought over? =)

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

L Bird, are you serious?

LOL

By L_Bird (L_Bird) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Yeah. i know this probably sounds really stupid. i have talked to so many people who say, "My [insert relative here] got a [insert high ACT score here] on his ACT, and they got tons of offers!! They got called by [insert prestigious university here]." i couldn't (still can't) figure out why that's not happening to me, but i guess my situation is pretty normal. Sorry if i sound irritating or stuck-up. That was not intended.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Ummm... my son got several nice offers from colleges to which he had APPLIED. The only unsolicited offers he received were because of Nat'l Merit status, and even then each school required an application (many waived fees.) He spent close to two years researching schools and scholarships and a good 7 - 8 months completing applications and essays. It was a big BIG effort.

By L_Bird (L_Bird) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Aw, geez, in my most recent post the quote should read:

"My [insert relative here] got a [insert high ACT score here] on his ACT, and he got tons of offers!! He got called by [insert prestigious university here]."

i hate grammar mistakes like that, and there i go busting one out.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

The problems of your post were NOT grammatical. :)

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Ask youself this: "What kind of college is going to offer you admission AND a free ride----based only upon an SAT score?

I can hardly think of any college quite that desperate. I think it's safe to say that most colleges want to see an application, some essays, grades, some recommendations, etc BEFORE they go offering you juicy deals.

By L_Bird (L_Bird) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:50 am: Edit

Well...i didn't expect Carleton or Amherst to be calling me up with such promises. i guess my whole point in creating this discussion was to find out whether that Yes or No box was the reason for colleges' lack of interest in me. i know i've said this before, but from what i've been told, seemingly everyone else in my area gets some sort of offer after his ACT results are in. For example, one school to which my best friend sent her scores mailed her a letter saying she was eligible for a $4000 scholarship, providing she applied and was accepted. From the six schools to which i've sent my various scores, i've gotten just one email thanking me and offering to send me an application. i didn't know whether this was normal or not, so i thought i'd ask you all.

i'm not looking to skip the application process!! i'm not looking to take shortcuts. My little comment about "wouldn't it be nice to be fought over," was to be a joke, albeit a poor one. All i wanted to know was whether or not my situation is normal and if i could somehow get on the right mailing lists. i'm sorry for all the negative energy i've apparently sent flying throughout this forum.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

Mo2, it's nice to know that someone else found two years of researching schools and months of working on applications/essays to be reasonable.

By Txdad (Txdad) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 10:14 am: Edit

I am wondering what is considered a recruited student. Schools sure would not hang out scholarships just because some test scores. My son was offered an all-expense-paid trip to visit Williams in the fall (Glad to see schools doing something to attract non-athlete students as well.) Unfortunately, Williams is not on the list because it is not that strong in science. So this kind invitation is likely to be turned down.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page