Is this volunteering?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Is this volunteering?
By Jazzlogician (Jazzlogician) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 06:07 pm: Edit

This summer, I've been doing a summer arts festival at my school which is essentially a community theater project. I'm in the pit orchestra for the musical "No, No, Nanette." The actors, dancers, singers, and musicians are all between the ages of 12 and 20, and we've been rehearsing about 9 hours a week for the past few weeks.

No one is getting paid, but is this considered volunteering or community service? I'm asking because it doesn't really feel like I'm benefiting the community (unless the benefit is the community's enjoyment of the show). The money raised from ticket sales probably goes into next summer's program.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

This definitely qualifies as community service. This past year, I helped in my school's Student Activities office and received credit for that, and yours is pretty similar to what I did - in terms of not overtly benefitting the community.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

I personally wouldn't consider it community service. I'd say it's just an extracurricular project. But I guess it depends. Would you consider any other school play community service? It definitely wouldn't pass at our school anyways.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page