Sir Moreau: Sailing the Internet Seas

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Sir Moreau: Sailing the Internet Seas
By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:37 am: Edit

KEVIN THE GREAT INTERNET EXPLORER: AND HIS ADVENTURES INTO THE VAST WORLD OF COLLEGE RESEARCH.

College admissions, financial aid, college search - College Confidential.com is the best web source for information on college-related topics, from Ivy League admissions to evaluating college rankings, from college books and book reviews to college counseling and paying for a university education.”

-www.collegeconfidential.com

I am aroused by the computer. Yup, you read it correctly, “I am aroused by the computer”. The statistic that my application mysteriously will fail to show, is the time I have spent “sailing“ the internet. I can’t account for the amount of nights I have spent online on those long summer nights, or those days where’d I’d come home from school and endlessly search the internet. I’d like to refer to myself as the Columbus of the internet world. I’m always finding “new” territory that I can call my own. The internet is filled with domains just waiting for me to claim my stake.

In fact, a few months ago I came across a college website, that came complete with a message board and a myriad of college information. At first the message board seemed harmless, but in reality this message board became very detrimental to my health. The time and effort spent on that board is a direct product of my hormones and my fear of rejection, by colleges. The moment I signed up to this site is when my life took a 180 degree turn and started to spiral downwards. On this message board, I saw first hand America’s elite. It seemed as though every member was boasting perfect SAT scores, a perfect accumulative GPA and of course they had achieved every award in the book while spending many hours fulfilling their extra curricular duties. This made me think, what is that I can offer a college? After all I’m just a captain on the high “internet” seas, steering my ship into a rock and hard place. The way I look at it, on one hand I’m completely stressing about the college selection process, on the other hand I’ve come to the realization I can’t compete with the other applicants. It seems I have a snow balls chance in hell of escaping this rock and hard place with the oppertunity of a great education.

If I could relive my childhood years, I would not change them for the world. From my birth on, I’ve loved every minute of my life through the thick and thin. Even though the computer has in ways decimated the overall quality of my life, I know in the future I will steer my boat off of the high “internet” seas and on to more stable ground. A stable ground, where I can grow and flourish. My existence, to this date, will not be complete until I have the chance to prove myself. I believe ambition can take you farther than merely a formal education. Life has so much to offer and college is the final stepping stone in my educational career, which will give me the opportunity to succeed.

Late at night my mother always enters the room hearing me type away and goes “ Tapee Tapee Tapee”. Normally, a mother would say “goodnight”, but those 3 T’s are my mothers way of saying goodnight to me. You see, my head is usually glued to the computer screen, but when I apply the same focus to my academics, the results will be tremendously positive. So perhaps, I wasn’t the president of the world, or the next Einstein. Maybe I didn’t climb Mount Everest or participate in every club my school had to offer. I did however, spend my high school career fulfilling whatever it was my heart desired. I tried many new sports, I was actively involved in the school community, and I tutored special ed kids. I do, however, find it difficult to talk about oneself without sounding moderately boastful. Even though I’m not a valedictorian and dislike boasting about myself, I am quite driven. Many people say life throws you many curveballs, but I just tell them you can hit a fastball down the middle all day long, if you simply focus on your goal. Besides, what if a snow ball did make it out of hell?

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 10:18 am: Edit

What's that puddle on the floor?

:)

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

SirMoreau: for once I agree with you that life isn't all about education, that we shouldn't miss the fun we deserve while we're young. But, may I ask why you are on this forum then, troubling your mind with college stuff when you already know that it's not going to be the biggest part of your life?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Surfing online is quite addicting. It is also easy, and time consuming without a lot to show for it. It is for people who like the short term fix with an attention span to match.

While you may feel that if you put the same amount of energy and focus into your studies as you do surfing online you will be very successful, my point to you is, Studying in college is very different, you don't get the reward of a grade until the end of the semester, you don't get a reward of a paycheck at all. While some classes may be very fulfilling and exciting, others are the ground work that must be laid before the more interesting classwork can begin.

I don't know if the above was an essay in progress or just a ramble, but think of your own words Even though the computer has in ways decimated the overall quality of my life, I know in the future I will steer my boat off of the high ÒinternetÓ seas and on to more stable ground.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a screen
COlleges are generally going to want to see proof that you take advantage of opportunities not just your words if you are given them you will excel

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

"But, may I ask why you are on this forum then, troubling your mind with college stuff when you already know that it's not going to be the biggest part of your life?"

It's pretty big considering it's my next four years and i'm going to have to work my butt off to get into a good graduate school. I just need to get into a respectable university, that is why i'm totally fretting right now.

By Zero (Zero) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

The problem with all the addictions/obsesesions that I have is that none of them are school! I spend endless hours on the internet, watching tv, playing guitar, and just shooting pucks in my backyard but when it comes to things like school I can't get myself to do it. I have genuinely tried, but it made me so unhappy that I would just get frustrated and go listen to music for about 5 hours straight. I still can't figure it out though, it's not that I hate learning...it's just that what they're teaching at school can't possibly keep me interested. I can watch a documentary on PBS or the History channel and be totally enthralled, even the ones that lots of other studious kids would be bored out of their minds with but when it comes to diagraming sentences, doing punnet squares, solving trig functions, etc I can't get interested at all. There comes a point in every school year where I attempt to focus on academics like I do the other parts of my life, but it never works...SirMoreau I hope that one day you can turn all your ambition towards college work, but unfortunately I think a lot of us will never be saved.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Ya know
you might have ADD
it doesnt always mean hyperactive, people with ADD can pay attention if they are really motivated and interested, but even if they know they have to finish something, if it requires boring difficult bits, they just cannot do it, even if it means they will owe the IRS $500.

My oldest daughter has learning differences ( math glitches) , and ADD. She wasn't diagnosed technically till she was in high school, becuase her schools had always been very small classes, hands on learning with great teachers. Her intellect, carried her till then, especially since I had my hands full with her younger sister whose differences were not nearly so well disguised.( however she had, had psych testing when younger that indicated wierdness going on)

She hates to take meds, and in high school worked twice as hard as everyone else just becuase she had to read things over three or four times to click into long term memory.
She didn't decide to take meds till college, but it does help her pay attention to the small details that you need to be successful.
She stops the meds summers, even though ahem, she still has the ADD.
She leads an ADD group on campus and meets with a ADD coach to help her stay on top of things and develop strategies.
It seems to be a genetic thing, and I believe it is actually much more widespread than we know, rather than overdiagnosed.

I would suggest learning outside the lines written by two Ivy league grads with learning differences & ADD, even if you don't have it, they have some great study techniques to keep you on track
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068486598X/002-1109903-2952804?v=glance

By Zero (Zero) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 05:55 am: Edit

There is no way I have ADD. I can concentrate on things extremely well, my focus on some really boring things (say for instance the NFL draft, all 12 hours of it) is extremely sharp and unwavering...I suffer from academic apathy. I read this Calvin & Hobbes comic once when I was about 8 or 9 that summed up my feelings towards school - I love learning, but why don't they teach us about things I want to know about like dinosaurs?
I don't mean to come across as too harsh, but I am part of the camp that believes that ADD is WAAAAAAAYYY over-diagnosed - I've seen people get diagnosed with that when they really had bi-polar or depression and it totally screwed their lives over. Your daughter definately does have ADD from your description, but I think it is too often mistaken with either clincial depression or bi-polar (which carry more negative connotations than ADD, therefore are often overlooked).

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 10:32 am: Edit

Oh I didn't say it wasn't misdiagnosed I think it is a lot. Especially with middle income parents who have the insurance and who want their kids to be doing better in school than they are.They might not even be slightly depressed but just aren't the academic whizzes that parents believe is their given right these days. Nobody wants to be average anymore.
But I also think it is more common that we think. For example I have ADD, all thorough school I had those not working to best of ability report cards.In fact so did my mother, she is very impulsive, can't focus on anything unless it is to hyperfocus on overwhelming stimuli like the TV, organization is very important to manage ADD, she wasn't able to help herself be organized let alone anyone else. Interestingly both of my siblings went into lives that were highly structured ( One became a Mormon, one just retired from the AirForce), I however am too inquisitive and argumentative to give any organization that much power to decide over me!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 11:06 am: Edit

LOL, that is one hijacked thread :) From the high seas to ADD.

By Spartan858585 (Spartan858585) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 02:28 am: Edit

lol

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 05:31 am: Edit

Do you think I could use this as a collge essay? Or would that be a BAD idea?

By Ibkid (Ibkid) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 08:53 am: Edit

people...what is ADD???

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Attention Deficit Disorder.

On one hand it is a serious disease. On the other hand, one has to laugh at the flood of new diagnoses in a number of boarding and other private schools that target the "ultra privileged". A bit of money spent at a friendly doctor can pay dividends. The "ADDed" time works better than tutoring and is cheaper :(

Quote:

By Arlene Levinson
ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 16, 2002

NEW YORK – The scores of SAT exams taken by disabled students who needed extra time will no longer be "flagged," or pointed out to colleges and others looking at the results, The College Board says. Advocates had said the practice violated federal law.

The Monday announcement came as part of a settlement with Disability Rights Advocates, a nonprofit law firm in Oakland, Calif., averting a possible lawsuit.

The new policy, which takes effect Oct. 1, 2003, applies not only to the widely used college entrance exam but to the College Board's practice PSAT and Advanced Placement exams.

Disability advocates praised the decision as ending a discriminatory practice, though some admissions officials have warned that flagging tests deters false disability claims filed by students who want more time to take exams in hopes of boosting their scores.

Flagging is done by adding the words "nonstandard administration" on score reports.

The vast majority of test takers who receive special accommodation get more time, typically for attention deficit disorder and dyslexia. Among more than 1 million students who took the various College Board tests in the school year that ended in June, 55,550 required special accommodation, said spokeswoman Chiara Coletti.

"We're extremely pleased," said Alison Aubrejuan, a Disability Rights Advocates attorney. The group is now looking at the ACT's college entrance test – the SAT's rival – and other admissions tests such as the LSAT for law schools, she said.

"We're hopeful that, in light of today's settlement with the College Board, these other testing agencies will be re-evaluating their policies and cease their practice of flagging."

ACT Inc. plans to continue flagging exams taken by the disabled for the time being, but is re-evaluating its policy, spokesman Ken Gullette said.

The new policy is a sort of postscript to a 1999 federal lawsuit that Disability Rights Advocates brought against the College Board's independent spinoff, the Educational Testing Service of Princeton, N.J., which develops and administers College Board tests along with its own exams.

The lawsuit was brought initially by Mark Breimhorst, who has no hands and requested extra time to take ETS's business school admissions test, the GMAT. The International Dyslexia Association and Californians for Disability Rights later joined as plaintiffs.

In late 2000, a settlement was reached, with ETS agreeing it would no longer flag its tests taken with extended time.

The College Board also took part in those settlement talks. Part of the ETS settlement was an agreement that a special panel take up the question of flagging College Board tests. If the College Board failed to resolve the issue, the plaintiffs would be free to sue.

This April, the panel recommended the College Board stop flagging extended-time tests.

"This is really going to change the lives of people with disabilities," said Breimhorst, 32, who is now a student in Stanford University's MBA program.

"They don't have to have this scarlet letter attached to their transcript. 'Here's this guy who got this score, but ... ,'" he said.

Gaston Caperton, president of the College Board said in a prepared statement that, "we have agreed to abide by their decision. While agreeing that the rights of disabled persons should prevail over other considerations, we also recognize the ongoing concerns raised by guidance counselors and admissions directors ... to ensure that extended test-taking time is not granted to students who do not require this accommodation."

While each high school is responsible for determining whether a disability merits extra time, College Board guidelines say proof of such an impairment should include a school file documenting a history of problems requiring accommodation and a diagnosis by an expert.

The College Board does spot checks and audits schools, Coletti said.

Following a Los Angeles Times investigation two years ago, a California state audit found high school students getting extra time for the SAT were more likely to be rich, white and attending private school. Poorer students seemed less likely to get extra time because their schools and parents were unaware they could ask for it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page