What do you put in a college reccomendation?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: What do you put in a college reccomendation?
By Tamaderb (Tamaderb) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

During this summer, I interned for Supervisor Liz Kniss at the Santa Clara County District Office (CA). She has offered to write me a reccomendation for college but she wants me to point out things that I want to be emphasized.

What kind of stuff do you put in reccomendation letters? Besides indicating specific events and activities that portray my personality, what other attributes should be included?

i welcome all comments.

Thanks!

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:20 am: Edit

who you are and what you do.

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:44 am: Edit

not just personality, character, work ethics, etc.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

Was there some project that you worked on that she is quite familiar with? That kind of specific information is what is valuable on a work recommendation.

Having her blather on about personality traits is nearly useless----unless she can tell about the time you worked on the _______ project and proved that you stuck to your task like glue, were inventive in dealing with the task, showed good cheer all throughout, etc.

Encourage her to tell a couple stories about your work. That is much more valuable than statements like, "She is honest, trustworthy, hard-working, bright, etc..."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page