Early Action vs Early Decision

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Early Action vs Early Decision
By Dragonman (Dragonman) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Could someone please help me clear up my confusion on the limits of early action vs early decision. I know that early action is not binding, but does that mean you can or cannot apply ED or EA anywhere else. Or does it depend on the school? Ive heard so many contradicting things, I just need someone to tell me what ACTUALLY is the case.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

i would tell you but I would just confuse you!

Ask Serene, morgantruce, or any of the wise-beyond-their-years posters

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Early Decision is binding. All schools that have Early Decision prohibit you from applying Early Decision elsewhere. Most of those otherwise allow you to apply EA elsewhere but you need to check with particular school to determine. Early Action simply gives you a non-binding decision early. Almost all schools that have Early Action allow you to apply ED or EA elsewhere. However, there are key exceptions and each school needs to be checked before you do it, e.g., Stanford and Yale both recently adandoned Early Decision and went to Early Action and also adoted a rule that you cannot apply ED or EA elsewhere. Those two schools may or may not be starting a trend -- it just depends on whether others start to follow suit in the next couple of years.

By Dragonman (Dragonman) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

thanks for the info

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page