College admissions can be fun- Agree?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: College admissions can be fun- Agree?
By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

I just read a book called "The Gatekeepers" by Jacques Steinberg...it provides an insight on admissions at one of the most selective liberal arts colleges in the country...and reading it has gotten me excited about college admissions in general. In a way, it forces a student to stop to think about his/her interests and come up with a plan to pursue them...and in the end he/she can show it off to college adcoms! I'm just trying to make a point that college admissions, as stressful as it can be during and in the years leading up to senior year in high school, can be fun too if you really take your interests to heart...and if you plan early enough. Even if you already really love learning, colleges admissions can be a source of motivation for you to actually apply your inquiring mind to all kinds of situations.

I want to know what you think.

By Giants (Giants) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I'd agree that it can be exciting if you are exposed to things that you find out you love because you are trying to build a resume by participating in them. However, that "fun" will realistically only last as long as the acceptance letters are streaming in.

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Sure, the college admissions period can be exciting as you finally see one of the tangible outcomes of the many years of school. It can, however, be at the same time an extremely stressful process as well depending on the type of person you are.

The extracurricular activities bit was by far the most enjoyable part of mine. :) It really helps to do something that you enjoy and have a passion for, while allowing you to discover your own identity and helping build up that oh-so-crucial resume.

Just my two cents ...

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Colleges admissions is fun. It ranks right up there with heart surgery, having your wisdom teeth pulled, telling your parents you flunked a course, breaking a leg, having your dog die, being cut from a high school sports team, taking a pop quiz that counts as 50% of your grade, crashing your dad's car, being dumped by a significant other, learning your fly has been open all day, reading Great Expectations, and doing a term paper that is due tomorrow. It is just amazing all the fun you can have that you can look back on later in life and just smile.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

It's kind of like waiting for Christmas morning.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

...learning your fly has been open all day.

Well, I'd be curious to see the results of the advertising campaign.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Quote:

College admissions can be fun

I'll tell you what I though of the process in April.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

scariest thing in my world.

By Bigdaddy (Bigdaddy) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Parts of the process was fun:

I enjoyed the college visits we did as a family;
I got to enjoy my daughter as an emerging adult;
It has sparked some great discussions about the future and the meaning of life;
It was rewarding to come to a decision on a college that seems to be a good fit.

Other parts of the application process that generated anxiety were definately not fun.

Writing the checks wasn't a yuck a minute either.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

As it nears the deadline, sure it can be hectic but the years of preparation that came before is the most fun part of the whole process.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:14 am: Edit

Visiting colleges is fun. But not as fun as licking the stamps for your applications.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

That's true ap...but then there's the long wait before decisions arrive.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Drusba...your post cracked me up! Display some of that humor in the oh so fun college essay!
Susan

By Emyh (Emyh) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

The anticipation can kill you

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page