Rolling admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Rolling admissions
By Makodan (Makodan) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

What exactly does this mean? Im not sure but I think it means you can apply really early (november) or really late (april) and get an answer about a month later. Is this true?

By Boysmom (Boysmom) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Basically. Except that most places will accept the application as early as when school starts in the fall (could be August) and usually have a deadline. Usually January or February. Also consider that the wait could be as quickly as a month, or much longer at a competitive school later in the season. Rolling admission schools also tend to fill their enrollment as the applications come in, so it is a benefit to apply early.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

also, sometimes you can get a response in as little as a week! usually 2 weeks is common.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

My daughters applied to several rolling admissions colleges in September and were accepted in mid October. Even if those colleges are not you number one choices, it sure is nice to find out that early that some college wants you!

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Wait. What if I am planning on applying to Stanford EA, which says you can "only apply to one school early". Does this mean I am not allowed to do rolling admissions at U Mich??? What if I do apply rolling to U Mich, and then decide to apply EA to Stanford. Am I still allowed. Need help.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Though basically it means you get informed shortly after applying, the system can vary from school to school. To give some examples:

1. University of Illinois starts taking apps in October. All those who apply by November 15 will be informed during the first two weeks of December; all those who apply after November 15 go on a rolling basis (usually two to three weeks) of being informed starting mid-December. Last date to apply is January 15 -- you can apply thereafter but won't be considered if they feel they have already admitted enough with those that apply by January 15.

2. Auburn: starts taking applications June 1 for admission in the Fall a year later (June 1, 2003 for Fall 2004). You will be informed of decision within a week to ten days after all necessary things are submitted -- application, student counseler's recommendation, transcript (for three years of high school), ACT or SAT score. You can apply through May before the beginning of the Fall semester (thus a one year rolling admissions period) although the later you apply the less chance you have of admission.

Applying early as possible can be important not just for admissions purposes. For example you may need to apply early to be considered for any scholarships. Also, some schools, like Auburn, decide dorm preferences based on when the applicant was admitted.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

As to the question for Stanford EA. Its rule (and all others that have such restrictions) does not apply to rolling admissions and thus you can apply to a rolling admissions college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page