Admission based on race

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Admission based on race
By Collegeboundjen (Collegeboundjen) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

Does anyone know of any schools that use base as one of the deciding factors for admission? What is the actual process of this? Where can I find articles on it? I've heard a lot about this, but I'd like to know the details.
Thanks!

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

The vast majority of colleges actually consider minority status as one factor on the basis of maintaining "diversity." Due to the recent Supreme Court decision on the issue, the model system has now become the one the University of Michigan uses for its law school admissions because that system was held constitutional. Basically, that system is one of a "whole file" review where grades, test scores, EC's, recommendations, essays and minority status are all factors considered without using any point system to weigh each factor. The point system which was used in Michigan's undergrad admissions was declared unconsitutional and thus all schools that had such systems are scrapping those and going to a whole file review. If you simply do a search at google.com for: university michigan point system admission 2003, you will not only learn about the recent Supreme Court decision but will find a lot of articles since that late June decision where numerous colleges have declared that they either use a system similar to Michigan's law school system or will start using one for 2004 admissions.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

This is an excellent report on the subject:

http://www.nber.org/~confer/2001/hiedf01/long.pdf

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

well one of the schools im applying to (University of Arkansas)uses race as a factor. When you check off the box of your race, there's a little blurb saying "your race is only used for statistical information and Affirmative Action" or something like that...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page