What do I do about these Awards/Recognition

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: What do I do about these Awards/Recognition
By Alethio (Alethio) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Hey everyone!

I've been playing piano ever since I was a youngin' and I've never won an actual award in a competition, but I have participated in many "honors concerts and performances" that are given only by a select few...now, would that be something I could put on a college application and if so, how and where would it go?

Thanks for the help =)

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

In... EC or Hobbies section.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I would suggest that you list them in one of a couple of different ways. You could do a music resume, listing competitions where you have been a finalist or honorable mention. Your resume should also include all of your recitals and public solo performances and what you played, major works in your repetoire, summer music programs you may have participated in, etc.

Another approach would be to state on your application something to the affect of - "Selected as one of four high school pianists in the county to perform on Dallas Public Radio - Performed Rachmaninoff Concerto #3, 9/02."

If you have a reasonable music resume, you may just want to attach that rather than trying to squeeze the stuff on the application. In your resume you can also put a brief explanation of the award or honor if it needs an explanation.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page