AP State Scholar Award

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: AP State Scholar Award
By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

Does anyone know wha scores last years Texas State Scholar Award winners got on their AP's? How about other states. I have done a search on google and couldn't find it.

I have five 5's and two 4's right now, going into my senior year. Thats the same as a girl from Wisconsin who won the state scholar award.

The Highest Award I am sure i will get next year is National Scholar.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:17 am: Edit

Five 5's and two 4's was enough to win the Wisconsin state scholar award? That's not even enough to win National AP Scholar, which 1000+ students in the nation won.

Also, when counting APs, be aware that some only count for half, such as Stat and Psych.

By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 08:27 am: Edit

THis one only had 9.5 with a 4.62 average.

" Two students from Hawaii qualified for the AP State Scholar Award by receiving grades of 3 or higher on the greatest number of AP Examinations on full-year courses (or the equivalent) with an average grade of at least 3.5. This award is granted to the one male and one female high school student in each state and the District of Columbia. The female recipient of this award is Lizhou Wang of Iolani. She earned a 4.62 average on 9.5 AP Examinations."

http://www.iolani.honolulu.hi.us/WhatsNew/archives/2000/000919_apschol.html

ANd another:
"Lastinger put herself above the rest by successfully completing seven AP classes. On the exam that concludes each course, she received perfect scores of five on five of the exams and scored fours on the remaining two. A score of three or above on the exam is needed for the course to count for college credit."

http://www.as.wvu.edu/New_Folder/newsroom/newsreleases/2003/Jan/lastinger.html

Thats pretty easy to go your senior year. I already have 6.5 with a 4.71 average. But then maybe my state is more competitive than Hawaii. You'd think it would be easier in Texas, because Hawaii has so many Asians.

What good are these award if they are awarded after the student has already been accepted or denied to the colleges they applied for?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

"What good are these award if they are awarded after the student has already been accepted or denied to the colleges they applied for?"

That's the kicker. I don't think that tests taken at the end of senior year count for these awards. The info says that awards are given in the FALL to "high school students". It does not say anything about college freshmen being eligible for awards, which they would have to be if the awards include tests taken by seniors. Someone tell me if they have any official reason to interpret this differently. Here's the link to the rules on College Board:
http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/students/benefits/awards.html

By Localmooer (Localmooer) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Our school last year had a National AP Scholar, which our school made a deal about, and she was a college sophomore (sophomore standing).

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Localmooer - she had "sophomore standing". Does that mean that she had actually totally left your high school and matriculated as a regular college student when she received the award? The answer would have to be "yes" for exams taken at the end of senior year to count towards the award. If she was still in high school when she got the award, and simply had a boatload of credits, that would mean she had not yet taken exams at the end of senior year. Go see the discussion on this under "AP National Scholar":
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?69/16881

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page