Large Tuition Increases Nationwide

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Large Tuition Increases Nationwide
By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

The July 23, 2003 Washington Post has an article about large tuition increases at state schools. This directly affects 2/3rds of all US college students. I urge you to read the article, then try to justify our current mix of national priorities that increase the burdens on students and reduce the size of Pell grants, while giving very large tax reductions to the very rich.

The article begins, "State colleges and universities in every region of the country are preparing to impose this fall their steepest tuition and fee increases in a decade -- the latest fallout of state fiscal crises in which most governors and legislatures this year sharply reduced aid to higher education.
Recently announced tuition increases for in-state students of as much as 21 percent in Maryland and almost 30 percent in Virginia over last fall's levels are larger than those in many states, but still well behind increases in states with even larger budget gaps. Tuition and fees at the State University of New York and the University of Oklahoma are rising about as much as those at the University of Virginia, but they are rising 39 percent at the University of Arizona and 40 percent at the University of California."

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

That's great. I already was going to have problems paying for college. Guess I'm not going now.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

yep, i read it today. i felt bad because some college kids in the article were working from like 20-40 hrs a week and going to school full-time just trying to earn some extra money. this one girl had 24,000+ in debt! imagine what they'll have to do now.

the same girl that was in debt said she was gonna write a book called "Hot to Survive on Nearly Nothing" or something like that because she's had to cut back on food. she's surviving on noodles and rice. *tsk tsk* how sad....

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Wait today is just 22nd not 23rd. How did you read something from the future?

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

musta been a typo lol

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

My friend's daughter found that it was actually better financially to attend a private school than go to the UC schools where she had been accepted. The UC schools offered her nothing beyond her Pell Grant and loans while the private schools she applied to offered her scholarship grants, work study and in one case a full 4-year merit scholarship. She would have spent close to 18,000 a year at the UC schools with expected increases each year; instead she will be going for free. I'd recommend that all students who believe they could qualify for financial aid or merit money should also consider applying to some private schools in addition to state schools Sometimes, it can work out better financially to go the private route, especially when state schools are struggling with budget cuts. (Of course, there are no guarantees and not every private school will automatically give you more money).

By Laxgirl04 (Laxgirl04) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

what school offered her the merit scholarship? Im looking into these.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

The University of Redlands in California. It is a small liberal arts school with a good academic program. She choose it over UCDavis and UCSB. Her SATs were in the 1300's and she had an excellent GPA. The full merit scholarship was a combination of a grant from a private foundation that supports local students going to URedlands and the school itself.

There are many smaller schools that offer merit scholarships along these lines. While she was somewhat above URedlands in terms of her stats, after talking to students and professors, she was satisfied that it would still be academically challenging enough for her. All she will need to pay for are her books and personal expenses. Since she plans to go on to graduate school, she was very happy.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Compared to ANY private university, the University of Maryland's proposed $6,700 tuition is a bargain. (Assuming, of course, that you aren't poor enough to get significant financial aid or stellar enough to get significant merit aid at the private school.)

I've noticed that some private colleges are also raising tuition in $1,000 hops for next year, but it isn't so noticable because it's relatively small in percentage terms when added to last year's $25,000.

That said, however, I am concerned about students who are in precarious financial shape, and I think it's time for public universities to balance their budgets in ways other than tuition increases. For example, the "flagship" campuses should take a step back and look at how much money they've spent in recent years on bells and whistles (e.g., new basketball arenas, gold-plated fitness centers for students, overly ornate student unions) and re-direct some of that cash to educational purposes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page