Major on App

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Major on App
By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Will it increace my chances and make me look unique if I put a unique major on my app as opposed to the common ones like bio and english. For example, I am white, but i would put Chicano studies as a major.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The difference possible major makes is insignificant. There is a bit of luck in anything. And really, I doubt adcom puts that much thought into what major you put down, as we all know most students change their idea after they get in college anyway =)

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

It does matter to a certain extent - if you are a male and truly want to major in child development (and have demonstrated this), you'll have a good shot. The major does matter to a certain extent... if too many Chinese language potential majors apply, the university won't be able to handle the extra people. So, it could work for you or against you, and it does matter towards the end. Applying ED, when they haven't seen the vast majority of the applicant pool, it won't matter unless it's something unusual... but in your case, the school might question why you want to do Chinese Studies if there appears to be no previous interest. Just a thought.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Hmm... true.. the quasi "A/A" thing with majors. But it'd better if you are honest... as Aries said, your high school activities should support your desired major.

By Justplayin104 (Justplayin104) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I was thinking about putting psychology as my major because I took a psych class at the local university over the summer. You think this could work for me, to show that i'm taking the initiative to take upper level classes in my "intended major"?

What about a male nurse? (which is more of an actual interest than psych)

By Fiza (Fiza) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

umm chicano means LATINO as far as i know. NOT CHINESE.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page