About ap scholar award

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: About ap scholar award
By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

i got
ap us history 4
ap calc bc 3
ap eng lang 2!!

Yes 2.. For the AP Scholar award, you need a 3 but hopefully it is the average of the exams? My average of the exams is 3.. those are the only ap exams i have taken.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure you need an AVERAGE of 3, in which case...congrats! You may want to verify this with CB though.

By Zaxory (Zaxory) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

what's an ap scholar award? How do I know if I qualified?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Sorry, Cooljay. You don't qualify for a scholar award yet. (Maybe next year?) You need a 3 or better on each of 3 exams. Here's the section from College Board with the requirements:

Award Levels

AP Scholar
Granted to students who receive grades of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

AP Scholar with Honor
Granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

AP Scholar with Distinction
Granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

but such award doesn't really mean anything does it?

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

I got a 5,5,5,4 on my AP tests. I dont know what type of AP honor I qualify for but whatever I get, should I put it on my application??

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Bnp: since you are going to put down your AP scores on your applications anyway, putting down AP honor won't hurt or help.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Quote:

but such award doesn't really mean anything does it?

In A is for Admission they say that it is an "honor" looked upon well by adcoms.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Bnp - you're an AP scholar with honor. I agree with Apguy, it's a good award. Put it down on your app if you have room. But if you are so heavy on honors and awards that you're squeezed for space, it will also be on the score report sent to colleges by College Board.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Quote:

In A is for Admission they say that it is an "honor" looked upon well by adcoms.

The book said AP honors is "meaningful," but in this case may I add "also repetitive." Only one sentence in ~4 pages of discussion over AP did Hernandez mention AP honor. The rest of that section was devoted to scores of 4's and 5's. =)

By Tenisghs (Tenisghs) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 10:19 am: Edit

You mean to get AP Scholar on your resume or whatever is considered a good thing? I thought it was meaningless....

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

i have a 5,5,5,4,3, but i took one of those five (AP psych- 5) self-study. is that "equivalent to a full year course"? or will i just get AP scholar with honor?

By Giants (Giants) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 03:38 pm: Edit

You'll get AP Scholar with Honor. Overall, I don't think that the awards mean much if anything, but they certainly don't hurt.

By Dean4america (Dean4america) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

If I have four 5's, (three of them this year, one last year), but I didn't take an "AP Course" (I took IB courses), can I still qualify?

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

dean: it's the scores that count, not the classes.

By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 05:59 am: Edit

For admissions, would it help at all that I got a 5 on AP US History, even though I got a B in the class? I can always hope...

By Apguy (Apguy) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

Yes.

They will think you may have had a teacher who graded somewhat harshly, because you clearly know your stuff...

By Illinoisguy (Illinoisguy) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

If I took two AP classes, European history and political science, in which the poly sci class was for both the comparative and US test would I fufill the "full-year courses (or the equivalent)" requirment for an AP scholar.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

the scholar awards are based strictly on the exams, some of which are classified as corresponding to "half-year courses". Nothing about the actual course you took matters. You don't even have to take a course.

By Huntsmanhopeful (Huntsmanhopeful) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

2 questions

For the awards, are they based on a single year or cummulative for all AP tests taken in high school?

For the Calculus BC test, does the AB subscore count as a seperate test, or do both count as one?

Can someone tell me if I qualify for AP scholar with distinction

Statistics (10th grade)-4
Calculus BC (11th grade)-5
Calculus AB subcore (11th grade)-5
US History (11th grade)-5
Macroeconomics (11th grade)-5
Art History (11th grade)-2

Total tests-5/6
Above 3-4/5
Average-4.2/4.33
Dependent if AB subscore counts

Thank you

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

cumulative. Calc subscore doesn't count as a separate test.

By Jk9903 (Jk9903) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

and Stats and Macro are only 1/2 year courses, so you only have the equivalent of 4 year-long classes, and because of the 2 on Art History (not a 3), you'd prolly just get AP Scholar.

By Brownsugar (Brownsugar) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Another Question: Are you automatically an AP Scholar or do you have to turn in paperwork. (In that case, where do you get it?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

automatic

By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

I got

Physics B 5
Physics C 5 for both
chem 5
bio 5
calculus 5
Macro 5
Micro 4
compu sci A 4
U.S. gov 3

I'm an international student, what award do you think I can get?

thanks

By Ferrari (Ferrari) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

dude, your scholar w/ distinction...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page