Include disablity on application??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Include disablity on application??
By User123 (User123) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Do you think including a disablity on an application or using it as part of the essay will help or hinder acceptance chances?? Please respond!

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I tend to view this the same way as income. Extremely low income - help or hurt? My guess would be that the elite schools, namely the Ivies, will look at this is a boost.

By Spiritofhadad (Spiritofhadad) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

In that case, I better injure myself and become seemingly retarded.

If you were creative and insidious, then you would bribe a doctor to confirm it.

MWAAHAHAHA....

By Shennie (Shennie) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

User - I think it depends on the type of disability and how it has affected you. If you have a major disability, I would include it. A minor one may make you sound like a whiner.

By User123 (User123) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

What do you consider a major disability??

By User123 (User123) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Do you think it would be good to include it as part of the essay to explain how much it affects you, and what you've done to challenge yourself??
Or do you think doing that hinders the chance of acceptance??

By User123 (User123) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

bump

By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 08:08 am: Edit

clipart{no-no}

I think probabily they have quota for disabled so don't put it on the app, for your own good.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

User - I would consider a major disability one that makes if difficult for you to function without assistance. For example - being blind, hearing impaired, parapalegic, cerebal palsy, etc. However, if your disability is such that your function very well without assistance from anyone most of the time, then I would consider it minor. Just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

Another way to think about weather to include it or not may depend on how your disability has affected your ability to do things that colleges think are important. For example, if you have been highly successful in track inspite of the fact that you are missing a leg, then you should mention that. However, if you are emphasizing your musical ability, missing a leg is not very important. Get the idea?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page