Admission to your perfect college?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Admission to your perfect college?
By Saera (Saera) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:05 am: Edit

So, how many of you have found a college that seems 'perfect' to you? One that almost everything about it seems to be just what you're looking for? Everything like location, curriculum, clubs and sports, student attitude, anything like that...

...and for those of you who have gone through the admissions process, and had a college that you felt was perfect for you, were you admitted to that college? Did you feel that you might be lacking in any areas and were worried that you wouldn't be accepted? (for example, had great grades for the school, but were kind of light on ECs...)

...I'm just interested because I've seen so much about finding the college that's right for you, and that you'd be happiest at...I'm especially interested because I've fallen in love with a college (MIT) and the more I find out about it, the more perfect it seems for me...I could name so many things that make it my first choice...but it's a reach for anyone, so of course I'm paranoid I won't get in. I think it would be really interesting to see how many people managed to get into their dream school, even when they had doubts whether they'd be able to...and if you did, what do you think did it? Do you think the colleges notice your enthusiasm for the school, or something else? Come on everyone, discuss, I'm really curious...

By Nakovanj (Nakovanj) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

I'm sorry i can't give you any feedback on the subject you want, but I have some questions of my own (if that's not a problem). I have also fallen in love with MIT, and later at Stanford (leaving Caltech third). So I'd like to ask you, if it wouldnt be any trouble to you, if you could tell me some things about you, your GPA, SAT scored, EC especially, meriths earned... Since I'm from Croatia I have no idea what kind of people get accepted there, so I'd like you to give me some insight, considering you'll be one of those people. Thank You

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

I've narrowed my list down to about 7/8 colleges. My list probably isn't going to change...but you never know. I still have to visit the schools.

There are things I like and dislike about each college. Some things about a college I like a lot, while others I may not like a lot. It's just cost-benefit. What school would I be most happy at? Could I see myself suriving in for four years?

But for my perfect school:
Cornell's choice of majors and research opportunities.
Northwestern's girls (sorry...) and Medill school of Journalism.
Take that, and plop it right onto Columbia's campus.

Notes:
*Don't want a big Greek presence.
*Must have a campus life (unlike Columbia)

By Saera (Saera) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Nakovanj,
I'm just going to be a junior this year, so some of my stats don't exist yet...my gpa is somewhere very very close to 4.0 (unweighted, my school doesn't weight), and I haven't taken the SATs yet. My PSATs were 720M&V without any prep, so I'm pretty confident that I can make 1500+ prepping a little. I'm first in my class as of now too...it's the rest I'm worried about. My ECs are rather lacking, only a few clubs (2 or 3), none of which I was president of yet, an academic team, a couple of hobbies...nothing spectacular. I really have to work on that. No awards yet or anything, really, either. Hoping to change that this year, maybe. I hope that helps a little, if you wanna talk about MIT, I believe my AIM screenname is in my profile...

Anyway...I guess 07139's post kind of shows that for some people there is no one 'perfect' college...but, like I said, for those people who have found one that seems right in every way, I'd love to know if they were accepted or not, and why they think they were. (or maybe for those of us who haven't applied yet, we could plot how we could make these perfect colleges want us...;) )

Anyway, what makes MIT perfect for me? First of all, the location is wonderful. I love Boston, I also love the cold and really can't stand it too hot, so I'd be very happy up there. MIT is one of the best colleges out there for what I want to study, Electrical Engineering and Comp. Sci. In fact, they have a major that is just that, EECS...I want a blend of the two, I don't want to concentrate just one hardware or just on software. They have a great undergraduate research program. ...and there's a ton of little stuff too. They have an anime club, and I love anime. They have archery and fencing, two things I'd love to get into but just simply aren't available in my area (and I don't find BOTH of those at many colleges...). The kind of people that seem to go there is just want I want to be around...the fact that there are slightly more guys than girls is certainly nice (I'm female, btw). There's just so much stuff like that...big things, little things, it's all RIGHT for me. That's why I'm wondering about if people who have found the perfect college have been admitted...

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Just from first impressions, I think University of Chicago is perfect for me...but I was sadly disappointed when I visited Northwestern. I'll go with my gut instincts when choosing a college. I'm a rising 10th grader, by the way.

By Nakovanj (Nakovanj) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:02 am: Edit

Well MIT is the elite of the elite. It's well known even beyond America. It would shurely make a great choice for people interested in engineering and science. Do the people that have participated in state competitions (whole USA), for example in physics or chemistry, have more chances to get in? Is that treated as a big plus? How about champions in these competitions?

PS try Stanford pages, beautiful campus

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page