PR vs. CC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: PR vs. CC
By Prlurker23 (Prlurker23) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

PR is a much better message board. Discuss

By Medprof (Medprof) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

What I don't like about PR board is that some posters are so rude, and the trolls are terribly annoying, bashing whatever they feel like. I hope the moderator on CC will not allow that to happen. More non-college related topics are allowed on the PR board, so there are more amusing things there. Sometimes things can get a little boring in CC, with all the stats and ecs asking to be evaluated. I can actually imagine how a college admission officer may feel when looking at all these applciations. That's why the essays are so important.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

I post often at both and noticed that PR is more fun but less actual college conversation goes on there. However, the people on that site who do give info give some really good info that I often agree with. If I asserted that Harvard is better than a community college I wouldn't have 10 people arguing that. Not the case here. So I think they give better advice there, just not enough of it!

By Mike (Mike) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

I find CC useful and have learned a few things here and the monitors keep it civillized. Sometime I play on PR because no thread can stay on subject for long.

By Patsmom (Patsmom) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:51 am: Edit

Is it just my computer or is the PR board down right now? I haven't been able to access the discussions since yesterday afternoon, although the rest of the site loads normally.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

PR has too many mean-spirited, anti-semitic, and racist contributors. It has too many children who think they deserve more than they do, and who believe their lives depend on what the US News has to say. Too many equate high SATs/grades with future success or being a quality person. I found it fairly useless for getting actual information about schools since the kids act like self-centered spoiled brats. They're not interested in helping; they want denounce the college you're interested in as a TTT.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Quote:

Is it just my computer or is the PR board down right now? I haven't been able to access the discussions since yesterday afternoon, although the rest of the site loads normally.

Same thing happened with me but it came back a short while later.

Quote:

and who believe their lives depend on what the US News has to say.

Actually, quite the opposite. There have been several threads, many in just the past 2 weeks about how bogus and inaccurate US News rankings are.

And more "insiders" give advice on that forum. For example, NYCfan who posts there was a Harvard alum and writer for the Harvard Crimson. Someone who once posted there later edited the SAT book Up Your Score. Over here, most of the people just quote what they read in the Gatekeepers in which case the advice is about as valuable as $5.96, or the price of the book at Barnes and Noble.

And the majority of "racism" you'll see there is started by a few, prolific posters. One of them being Quaggsy who was a not-so respected poster that attends Brandeis.

By Bigdaddy (Bigdaddy) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

PR board is more lively, but price of that liveliness is having to wade through posts from racists, spoiled and/or bored kids, and partisan zealots.

Some of the PR board's off topic threads are interesting or amusing. There is a lot of valuable information, but sometimes it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

CC doesn't seem to be as much fun, but there is a more polite level of discussion. I'm glad that it is moderated.

I wish the powers that be on this board would create an Evaluate My Stats/Essays category so all of the nervous students could post there rather than drop them around several topics.

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

I think that the PR board attracts more students of a higher caliber and so there are less "what are my chances?" type threads and more debates about college admissions policies. The advice seems more practical and real there, and especially with the PR database now in wide use (pr.damnsw.net), you can find out about real applicant's experiences and none of this watered down crap you get from so-called experts (*attacks US news board*). Many of the threads are off topic or devolve into being off-topic, but I think that the way the threading is done there makes it easy to skip past a whole bunch of flaming down to the real meat of the posts. That isn't so here--it's very hard to tell who is replying to who and to find posts with content once the thread gets off-topic. I do come here often, though, to escape the cliquey aspect of the PR board and to get some advice once I've tapped my PR sources.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I'm all about College Confidential. I came on this website, out of sheer bordem due to my "grounded" status, and I wanted to see if I could get some SAT answers. I've noticed: The majority of people here seem tooo OBSESSED with college. It's like they're viewing college as the pinnacle of their lives, when in actuality it's just four year - and it should be a fun four years to say the least. Forty years from now, I don't want to be looking back on my college experience and be thinking, man I should've let loose and had a grand ol' time. Live life for the moment and deal with the future later. So far i've seen two people who are absolutely obsessed with Ivy League schools and i'm sure those two people represent many more on this website. Out of curiosity on that (pr.damnsw.net) can't people make up statistics and just lie?

"You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round"

By Apguy (Apguy) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Quote:

Out of curiosity on that (pr.damnsw.net) can't people make up statistics and just lie?

No. The SAT, SAT II and AP scores are verified by ETS.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I like College Confidential better...Princeton Review is not well-monitored, so many nasty comments are left for viewing by younger audiences.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

I know! Many times I go on that website and I have to ask my mom if its ok with her.

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

is PR not working for some of you?

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

Working for me...

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:31 am: Edit

Bah no PR!!!

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

STILL working for me...

By Ethansele (Ethansele) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

whats pr?

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

PR was having technical problems last year and I was banned there several times for multiple posts. I think they couldn't handle Netscape or something like that- every time I posted, my message would appear about 20 times, fill up the thread and I'd get banned. I kept trying to get reinstated, only to be banned again. I know several other people who were repeatedly banned also. Finally I gave up trying to post on PR. There are quite a few cliques and private conversations there, and often the cliques gang up on posters. There is a lot of mistrust there, people are always accusing others of being trolls. As others here have noted, there are a lot of nasty posters on PR. There are interesting discussions on some of the threads; sometimes they get quite heated. I spent over a year on the PR boards- at times they were informative and entertaining, but the PR board became addictive. It seemed to be satisfying emotional as well as informational needs. But after being banned, I broke the habit and I read the CC boards now. I haven't gotten emotionally drawn in as I did on the PR board, but for me it's just as well.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page