I like to think that i do have a lot to offer...but my test

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: I like to think that i do have a lot to offer...but my test
By Hellagood133 (Hellagood133) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

I am going to be a senior and so far i have gotten All A's in all core honors classes with a really challenging schedule. For EC i am on Math team, Academic Bowl, Treasurer of National Art Honor Society, Class Club (jr class), WYSE, French Club,Varsity Club,NHS and i am on Tennis and captain of Badminton. Not to mention i have been learning a classical art form of india for 9 years and continue to do so. I have had 3 of my poems published and am starting to compile them all into one book which i hope to publish. I once created a floorplan through an architecture class for a teacher at my school who is planning to retire and now he is ACTUALLY using MY floorplan to build his home! there are a few other minor things i forgot to mention...but here are my test scores...ACT 29, SAT 1320...and my first two AP scores are 3's....on ACT i got a 34 in english and math...but reading is really bad cuz im SUCH a slow reader...i am HORRIBLE at taking all tests...what should i do? i dont want my low scores to make them think i am stupid...

By Hellagood133 (Hellagood133) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

by the way...i want to become an architect...and the best school for that right now is harvard...or so i hear....ill NEVER be able to get in because the standards are sooo high....but i KNOW that i do have the passion and talent to become an architect...i JUST know it.....not to sound cockey or anything...but its just been my dream for so long

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

First off, it sounds like you have a lot going for you. Play all that up. Maybe retake the SATs after some practice and it could go up. SATs are not everything. With that score, you will just have to play up your strengths. Your guidance counselor could even comment that the scores are not indicative of your ability or achievements. Besides all that, there is more to a great college than Harvard. There are tons of high level colleges where you stand a chance. It is not like Ivy or bust!

Most of all I am posting cause you said you want to be an architect and I have a child your age who also is pursuing that field. You need to research this better. Harvard has one of the top GRADUATE school programs in architecture, The Harvard Design School. However, they do NOT have an undergraduate major in architecture at all. They have some history of architecture courses in the art history department but that is it. This is not the undergraduate school for you if you want architecture. My child is not applying there and I even have a degree from Harvard myself. This school does not meet the needs of an undergraduate wanting a prearchitecture degree. Please research your options further. I would advise you to not be thinking Harvard or nothing!

Good luck. You seem like you have a lot going for you!
Susan

By Hellagood133 (Hellagood133) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:22 pm: Edit

thanks so much for your time and input! i really appreciate it! do you have any tips for good UNDERGRAD architecture programs?

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Hey, don't worry about your scores too much. I got a 1290 SAT and a 29 on my ACT and got into schools like Berkeley and USC. Just retake the tests and you should get even better scores and improve your chances.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Do a search for "architecture" and you'll find all of Soozievt's posts on the schools she and her daughter have considered and researched. She's posted on this topic quite a bit in the past several months. The information is worth its weight in gold for anyone interested in this field.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Carolyn, thanks for the positive feedback. I did not realize someone could do a search to find these posts. I often find myself repeating the same thing in posts.

But in any case, since Hellagood asked, I will try to give a basic rundown now again. Hellagood, you can read my input here but I urge you to research this thoroughly. To start, go through the big books with tons of colleges in them and find ones that interest you based on various criteria that are important to you. Once you delve into the schools further such as visiting their websites, see if they offer architecture to undergraduates. Then, visit that department right on the web and see if it interests you. Once you find ones that match your interests, and once you make sure you have reach, target, and safety schools on your list, go visit the schools and meet with people in the dept....both professors and students. This takes a bit of research......Already to me it seems like you picked Harvard without even looking to see if they had architecture as an undergraduate major. Please look at challenging schools but find ones that are good matches to you, not just go by the name.

First let me say that someone steered me in the direction of learning abaut the different avenues to becoming an architect and I want to share that with you cause you need to understand this before selecting which schools best meet the option you want. First, you can attend a five year professional architecture program which leads to BArch and then you are certified, once your internship period ends. This kind of program is rather professional in nature. It is akin to many engineering types of undergraduate degrees in that there are very specific and numerous required courses in order to be certified after five years. So, you have less lee way to take lots of other things as an undergrad. Some schools, you must apply specifically to the five year architecture program. That means you must know for certain you want to major in this. Examples of schools such as this are Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Syracuse. At Cornell, you even need a portfolio to apply.

The second avenue to becoming an architect is to major in architecture as an undergraduate, just like you would do any other major. This is sometimes referred to as Prearchitecture. After college, you cannot become certified. You must then go onto grad school for 2 or 3 years to get a MArch, then become certified and do the internship/apprenticeship. So, if you are following me, the first avenue took five years and this avenue takes six years, maybe seven in some cases. The advantage is that you can take many things in college. Also, you are not committing at age 17 to be positive you want to become an architect. You go to college and declare a major at the same time someone would in any other field. My daughter has chosen this avenue. Schools she is likely applying to that offer this sort of thing are: Princeton, Yale, Brown, Penn, Tufts, Connecticut College, Lehigh, and possibly Smith. There are other schools such as Washington Unvi. in St. Louis that are great for this. Obviously my daughter, like anyone else, has other criteria in selecting a school beyond that it just offers architecture, so her list will differ from yours. I cannot get into all the criteria that is important to her. I merely want you to realize that her list is not the end all and be all or complete list of possible schools for this. MIT is another option for instance.

The third avenue to becoming an architect is to major in any major as an undergraduate. Then you would apply to graduate school in architecture to earn the MArch but since you would have no specific architectural training in college, this graduate degree is likely to take 3-4 years.

I hope this basic explanation sets you in the right direction. Just a little research and you will be on your way. You cannot just pick any school if you want architecture. Many schools do not have it. Plus when you do a search, you need to ascertain if that school has the BArch five year professional degree or the prearchitecture degree that requires you to go on to graduate school for certification. As you can see, there is a big difference. On some search engines, you might just land on the schools with just the professional BArch degree, so be wary. Instead, start with schools you like for other reasons, then research their sites on the web to investigate their offerings in architecture.

If I can help further, just ask.
Susan

By Mike (Mike) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Lots of great schools out there beside Harvard for architecture. Your 1320 SAT is not bad at all. Many of those schools put as much interest in your portfolio as your stats which are very good. Do a seach for for colleges with a schoolsof Architecture and then check their admission stats.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page