Name change on college application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Name change on college application
By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

My parents just passed the U.S. citizenship interview and are going to attend the oath allegiance ceremony in 2 months. Until then, they're going to file a naturalization request for me so that I can become a United States citizen as well. But the problem is, I'm going to be a senior and will be filing college applications in the next few months. I want to change my Japanese name to an english one, but if I can't change it in time(I heard I have to wait for another 6 months before my naturalization/name change), will the application confuse the admission officers during the review if I put my new name on it(since the name on my social security card is still my original Japanese name)? As for the grades, you only fill them out during the application, they don't actually check them on your real transcript until you decided to attend, right?

Will they check the proper identification on the social security card? Or will they just go with the name you provided on the application? I know I can manage to change it before the acceptance/rejection letters arrive, so what should I do? Thanks for your help.

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Use your current name. Send in updated information after you change the name.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page