Common Application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Common Application
By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

I have heard that using a college's own application is somehow "better" than the common application (if they accept it of course)...is there any truth to this at all?

By Bubbles04 (Bubbles04) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Do they give you a choice? I know some colleges require both the Common Application AND their own Application Supplement. Make sure you read all the directions, and maybe visit their admissions website. Not doing an application correctly, or not doing all parts of the application requirements would be a huge bummer...Hope you have fun with applications, I know I'm getting excited! :)

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

yes i cannot wait for the fun either cuz this summer has gone by tooo slowly lol

By Bubbles04 (Bubbles04) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Are you being sarcastic or are you serious?

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

no im serious hon! my summer has been going by extremely slow and im anxious to start on apps.

sorry if ya took any offense!

By Bubbles04 (Bubbles04) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

None taken! I know some people really like doing apps, and then there are others who look at us that do enjoy it like we're from another planet! I know I have a lot of things I must get done this summer, but I'm being my normal procrastinating self and putting it off...I guess that's the joy of summer...:)

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

i know they need the supplements...but each college also has their own complete application independent of the common application totally, in many cases

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

I don't know the validity but I have heard that it's psychologically better to use the school's own App if they have one...it's got all the info they want and in the order/format they like it. Otoh, they must get a lot of Common Apps if they allow them, so I don't see what the big deal is. Otooh, there are enough quirky factors in admissions, why take the chance? Otoooh, why ruin your life by being paranoid and obsessive?

I hope this clarifies things.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

If you choose to apply by common application, there are usually SOME things that need to be mailed in to the college directly. Use that oportunity to write a brief "cover letter" that expresses your interest and determination in attending their college. That letter will tend to soften up the "form letter feel of the common application"and personalize your interest in their college.

One of my daughters sent in a few common apps---all the rest were regular apps. She was accepted at the common app schools as well as the regular app schools.

Using the common app is not the HUGE timesaver that you would think. Once you get into the process of filling out regular apps, and use the same "blurbs" for the same questions, they move right along. Use your computer to printer to print out these paragraph-long blurbs, and glue stick them into your apps.

By Justplayin104 (Justplayin104) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

What 'blurbs' would these be? I know you're not talking about the essays, but what other writing is involved?

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Re justplayin: general short answers like... of your ECs which is most significant to you? what department are you interested in and why?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page