Cutback in Pell Grants

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Cutback in Pell Grants
By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 09:13 am: Edit

From the July 18, 2003 NYTimes, "The first report to document the impact of the government's new formula for financial aid has found that it will reduce the nation's largest grant program by $270 million and bar 84,000 college students from receiving any award at all.

"The report, by the Congressional Research Service, the research arm of Congress, does not calculate the full effect of the changes, since it does not consider the further cuts in student awards that will probably occur once the new formula is applied to billions of dollars in state awards and university grants."

The article goes on to say that an estimated 1 million students will receive smaller Pell grants. This will cause hardship for many and prevent some from attending college. Time to put down the college guides and complain to your Congressman and Senators.

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

My sister did not get a pell grant this year and it is going to hurt. I dont' know how we are going to make up the difference. This is really going to affect students who go to small colleges that don't have a lot of money to toss around. Its a shame-so much for that "no child left behind" crap. I supposed after high school you are on your own. I guess the government has other things to pay for (like the war.....)

By Obh100 (Obh100) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

welcome to the world you dumb conservatives voted for, military first, social politics second... this is so bad...

By Emyh (Emyh) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit

crud

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 03:56 am: Edit

Obh, you're absolutely right. Let's not protect our country. Who needs to live, right? I mean if it costs so much money to stay alive, what's the point!

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 04:01 am: Edit

Protect our country from what ? Weapons of mass destruction?

http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

Obh,
Of course, Trojan is right!!. Why spend all that good money on college grants when the Army needs people to sign up and ship off to Iraq for the next decade or so. And for those returning whole, there will be veteran's college benefits!!

Less sarcastically, colleges and families sending kids to colleges are being seriously pinched right now. Cutting Pell grants, at the same time states are cutting aid and colleges are raising tuition (UMd up 21% next year), and jobs are tight, is creating some serious hardships. The art of good government is balancing important benefits against the pains of the costs of taxes and personal sacrifice. Right now the priorities of unilateralist foreign policy and fiscal irresponsibility seem very askew. Support of families dealing with college costs is one of the areas that is suffering. If things are going to change, it will need pressure on the political establishment (Democratic, Republican, and other) to get the priorities straight and put money behind the words. Balance can be restored, but it won't be so easy, and getting a lot of the bright students using CC into the political process will help a lot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page