Applying ED and schools that want "a special type of student

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Applying ED and schools that want "a special type of student
By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 03:41 am: Edit

If you are someone who has very borderline stats for a school, but you try to shine in other ways like an interview, recommendation, ECs, ect. are there any schools that are known for accepting students like this? Particulary ED? Please realize im not talking about someone who would have absoultly NO SHOT at the school, but just certain schools who are known for accepting slightly strange stats in a student.

Someone told me today of the schools im interested in, Tufts (big on volunteering/ECs) as well as Northwestern (big on essay) had specific quirks they had been known, but not generalized for.

Any thoughts?

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:42 pm: Edit

I think most schools will take in borderline students, especially if they apply ED/EA. when you apply very early to schools in your senior year, they tend to not "grade" as hard, if ya know what i mean, as opposed to you sending in the app like in March or something, then they wont be as lenient.

By Asknot11 (Asknot11) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

You are absolutely correct in your assumption. Certain schools look favorably on certain extracurriculars and parts of your application. For instance, Notre Dame loves athletes. They would rather see someone be the captain of a varsity sport than editor of your school newspaper. On the other hand, Northwestern would LOVE to see someone be editor of the newspaper. I think this issue is perfectly shown by one of my friends. She had a 1390 SAT, 30 ACT, top 6% of her class, and was involved heavily in drama, and was editor of the newspaper. She got into Northwestern, but was rejected outright from Notre Dame. So if your stats are competitive the typed of ECs you are involved with can matter.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page