college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
Reach/perfect/safety? Thanx for your input.. :)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Reach/perfect/safety? Thanx for your input.. :)
By Goodkid2004 (Goodkid2004) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Hi there!
My heart is set on several Ivy League schools, but I know I have like a .0001% chance lol, so I would really appreciate it, if you could give me some suggestions. I'm trying to make myself the usual college application list -- reach schools, perfect matches, and safety schools. I live in NJ and would like to stay in the tristate, but also include DC... (as long as it's reasonable -- max. maybe 4-5 hrs. by car). So, I'd appreciate it if you could give me some suggestions of colleges, that you think would match my criteria.. (interested in pre-med so far, perhaps some kind of bio major..)
THANX A LOT!! I understand I'm not going to rely 100% on the answers I get, but I just wanted to see what others say.. thanx again..
OK..
white male, raised and lived in Poland for 8 yrs.
school in a non-suburban, non-affluent area
SAT: 1400 (verbal 660, math 740) - took it 4 times, considered retaking, but I went up from 1330 the 1st time gradually to 1400, and I'm just SAT-ed out, also, can't afford the Princeton Review, for example, so I don't know if that's honestly not good enough?!
SAT II: MathIIC 680, German 650, Writing 740 (considering retaking IIC, also taking IC, and perhaps bio or chem)
GPA: weighted 4.0+
classes: 9th/10th (all honors) 10th,11th (International Baccalaureate, 1st yr. in our school - we're the "guinea pigs")
Activities:
*school activities, several officer spots, very involved in school organizations and activities
*no school sports (is that bad?) - weight training and NJROTC physical activity, however (always worried about that)
*a lot of community service, church activity, etc
no working except for playing at weddings, teaching sunday school, and babysitting, lot of unpaid work (bad?)
*music! (violin<-best at, trumpet, piano, accordion!)
*several honors, including 2003 NJ All State Orchestra and NJ Governor's School
-I would anticipate a well-worked out essay (I hope!) and great recommendations
Thanx for your input on reach/perfect/safety(but not crappy lol) schools..

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

don't worry about the sports. hmm...
if you're going for ivy league, your SATs are a bit low... so work on that.
Of all your ECs, what is the one (or a few) thing that you think make you stand out? Have you won any awards/recognitions for any of your activities?

By Goodkid2004 (Goodkid2004) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

-do u think I can get by w/ 1400 -- took it 4x and SAT-ed out lol
-yes, gotta fix the SAT IIS
-yep got awards for my activites, still trying to figure out what my MAIN thing or two may be -- hard to judge when I'm the judge lol,, any suggestions? and any suggestions for which colleges? thanx

By Goodkid2004 (Goodkid2004) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:07 am: Edit

bump..

By Goodkid2004 (Goodkid2004) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 04:54 pm: Edit

input ? =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page