Should I write about this for my essay?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Should I write about this for my essay?
By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Now, I'm not the brightest student. I have an average GPA, 130-something out of 370-something students. I'm not captain of track mainly because I switched events, and I'm not section leader in band, but I am extremely dedicatedto both. Freshman year I struggled a lot in English due to a teacher that wasn't very organized and had us doing about five things at once. My grades were all C's, except when I got an F one marking period. In science I struggled too, getting a D one marking period. Then sophmore year I went to second track English but first track biology, which I struggled in getting a D one marking period. That was when I decided I wanted second track chemistry, but didn't get it because of a mess up in my schedule. So I walked into a first track chemistry class the first day of school thinking I wasn't going to pass, but I did it with two B's and two C's. That wasn't what was holding me back; what was doing it was the fact that I had depression and still do, but I am doing tons better. I had to struggle through it on my own due to the fact my family can't afford doctors and medicine for it. I've written in a diary for a little over two years now, and I can see a big improvement in how I think and what I'm feeling, not as bad as I used to be. That's how I used to be though, when I was really depressed I would give up on things that frustrated me and school was one of them. Then this year I finally had enough and dealt with it. I said I was going to try this year and try I did. I tried as hard as I could not to fail and ended up with this year being my best year so far (I even got honor roll once which I never got before in high school). I struggled, yes, but I worked through the times when I wanted to give up keeping my mind on my goal. Even when this year had seemed like the worst year on me too. Should I talk about that or do you think they won't care?

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

First I applaud your effort in overcoming your depression, and your perseverance and determination to improve. Successes are especially savory when they don't come easy. And you said you're a very good essay writer, so I see a lot of potential in this topic. Good luck. =)

By Mrsanguine101 (Mrsanguine101) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Sounds like an interesting, personal topic for which you could write well. Good luck with it.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

you've picked a great topic. it has lots of potential. the thing is be careful how you go about wrting it. i think topics such as this can either make or break an essay. do not make it sound like they should feel sorry and pity you, like they should accept you because of all that you've gone through. if you do such a thing they'll see you as weak and discard you immediatly. do the opposite. explain how these events make you stronger, help you grow as a person, and that you don't want anybody's mercy. this is simply an essay of your character, of who you are. admission officers always want to know the type of people contributing to their college. it's like searching for a roomate. you want somebody with respect, etc. etc etc.

By Susu (Susu) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Be VERY careful. Colleges are afraid of admitting people they fear will drop out or drag down other students. Rather than go on about conquering depression, you could change the slant to deal with overcoming poor academic attitude without benefit of psychoanalyst or lengthy therapy. I hope now that you've got the hook, you're helping other kids achieve the same uplifting experience. (Hint: Admissions people really LOVE it if you are helping other kids deal with something you've already dealt with. Shows your Samaritan side.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page