What is this?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: What is this?
By Darkblade2487 (Darkblade2487) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Hey, here's an interesting question: why do colleges place such importance on class rank? A valedictorian at one school may not even be in the top 10% of another! I go to the best high school in my area (2nd best in the state) and people that are even in the top 20% have stats that are higher than many valedictorians... My whole point is, will colleges discriminate against me if I end up as number 10 (or something close), even if my GPA is excellent? Or do they also highly rely on the quality of the high school? Thanks!

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Because diff. schools have diff. opportunities, and they concentrate on how well you can make the most out of what you're given. It'd be unfair to have the same requirements for students from different schools.

By Darkblade2487 (Darkblade2487) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Well that's my point...I'm a rising junior and my GPA is higher than that of the senior valedictorian of some nearby school. My rank is about 13-15 right now. So all in all would this be to my advantage or disadvantage?

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

You can't compare your GPA to some other school's students' GPA unless the two schools have the same grading system.

13-15... out of how many?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

colleges see the competitiveness of the school in its profile, so don't worry about it...at least, i'm pretty sure they do.

By Darkblade2487 (Darkblade2487) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Well since my school very selective it's only 13-15 out of a little less than 150. That's not good, is it? And yes, the school was using the same grading scale...

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

hahaha has a good point. if your school's known for being very competitive, it's ok.
otherwise top 10% is good, but not great if your reaches are the ivy league.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page