College in 1-2 years? What is wrong with this picture?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: College in 1-2 years? What is wrong with this picture?
By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Since I was a sophmore, teachers have encouraged me and my classmates to take as many AP courses and exams as possible. They lead us to believe that AP was very important to get into a good school. Lately I have begun to realize that the state gives them money for every AP class and exam that is taken. I feel like I have been fooled. Now I am a senior with tons of AP credit already, and tons more lined up for next year.

Just the other day I was checking on how much the AP credit would count for college and all I can say is I am amazed. If I go to college at UT-Austin next year, and take all the dual credit and AP classes I have planned for next year, I will have 96 sem/hours of credit to begin college with. When people complete college they usually have 120 semester hours of credit. Does that mean I will only have 24 sem-hours of college left to complete to graduate from college? Something has to be wrong with this picture. If there isn't, then I will get to college and finish in 1 year.

By Jenniferelaine (Jenniferelaine) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Most schools will take some credit for Gen Ed requirements, but then will take the other credits and make them "elective hours". Most likely, you will still have some GenEd left, and you will have to take classes for your major. You may have an excessive amount of credits, but that doesn't mean it will apply for what you need, or even what you want it to. It'd be realistic to try and finish in 3 years, but I wouldn't say you'd finish in 1, or even 2.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Some colleges place a limit on the number of credits you can come in with. They don't want to put their stamp of approval on you (ie: give you their diploma) unless you have spent a certain amount of time there.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

You can apply for sophomore standing usually (at least 8 classes ahead), but not junior or senior unless you're coming in as a transfer or something.

By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

How exactly does sophmore standing work? I am sure if I actually got to keep all of my credits I would want to be in college for more than 1 year. Two or three sounds about right. Then I could get a double major.
UT-Austin places no limit on the number of credits you can bring in. For the stamp of approaval, all you need is 30 credit hours there over a period of at least "two long semesters", which I think means semesters other than the summer semester.

The only thing that would hold me back would be that I would not have enough advanced classes in any one subject which I think is required, depending on what major I go after.

Has anyone out there ever gone to college with too many credit hours form AP? I know for a fact that there are plenty of people who have more AP credit than I do.

By Obh100 (Obh100) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

its not like a formal thing, you just kinda graduate in 3 years instead of 4, I had a few credits coming in, and took a ton of placement exams, but I'm probably gonna double major, dude, college is a good thing, just ask anyone who works...

By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Actually, I want to get done with college as quickly as possible, since I have other plans. I want to be able to join the navy as an officer and try out for the SEALS.

Would a double major look good to competetive post-undergraduate programs like medical or law schools?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I know two students who used AP credits to graduate from college very quickly. One graduated in two years from the University of San Diego as a math major, the other two and a half from UCSD as a poli sci major. They were both recruited heavily for graduate school programs and are now working towards their PHD's, which they will finish while still in their mid-twenties. One told me, however, that she regrets graduating from college so early because grad school doesn't have the same social aspects as undergrad school.
On the other hand, they have saved thousands of dollars on their undergraduate degrees by using AP credits.

I don't think AP courses should ever be considered a waste. Students who load up on challenging classes tend to do better on their SATs, and be better prepared for the academics in college. APs shouldn't be done just to increase your admissions chances; they should be taken as an investment in your intellectual development. At least, that's my humble opinion.

By the way, a double major is an excellent path if you are able to swing it. It opens more options for graduate school and future job opportunities.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page