Bad class rank

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Bad class rank
By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

I plan on applying to UT-Austin next year.
how important will class rank be for admissions? I am 272/540, but the reason for such a poor rank is that I moved to a new school and the transfer of grades was not to my advantage.

I think that i might have trouble getting in. I really am a better student than my class rank suggests. I got a 1370 on SATI, am active in extra curriculars and sports, got five 5's and two 4's on my ap exams. I've taken a challenging coursload and I should have some strong letters of recommendation from teachers.

Will the admissions officers overlook my bad class rank? Do I stand a chance of getting in?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

I would think that you have a VERY good chance at UT.

UT-Austin mostly relies on class rank to qualify the top 10% of Texas high schoolers. However, in the end only 50% of the enrollment comes from that top 10% and not all gain access to the college of their choice.

Your SAT and other scores should help you considerably to secure a spot. Also, you should check with your counselor and verify what kind of contact he has with UT. A letter would go a long way in presenting the mitigating factors of the average class rank.

Finally remember that the overwhelming majority of students at UT are from Texas and that it helps to be a resident.

By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Thanks for the response. I currently in Texas, so that should help.

I actually think I could raise my SAT to 1460, since thats what I got on a real practice SAT test, one from the testmaker.

Would I have a chance at getting into Michigan, or UW-Madison, or one of the less presigious ivy-league school like Stanford?

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

less presigious ivy-league school like Stanford

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

lol...

Orangeclock, by

Quote:

the reason for such a poor rank is that I moved to a new school and the transfer of grades was not to my advantage.

do you mean the honors classes you took at your old school didn't count at your new school? So you didn't get the weighted grade benefit? If that's the case talk to your school counselors.

Hmm... just wondering, what was your unweighted GPA like before you transferred?

By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

First off the school I went to my sophmore year didn't offer any weighted classes. That is not to say that they were not challenging. The AP classes at my current school are actually easier than the regular classes at the school I came from.

Before I transfered, I would have about an 85%.

We do GPA in cumulative percentage from freshman year until 1st semester senior year. So I have a GPA of 91%, and am ranked 272/540. #1 has a GPA of 106, and #54 has a GPA of 98%.

Just to see what would happen, I computed my GPA for just this year alone, and got a 102.25, which is slightly higher than my friends GPA which is 101.75. He is ranked 14/540. So I am fairly confident that if I had gone to my current school for 4 years, I would be ranked between 10 and 14 out of 540.

Changing schools can screw you over.

Does anyone know what my chances would be at UW-Madison, Michigan, or a less prestigious Ivy league school? I guess Stanford was a bad example.

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

You could try to explain the different policies on your application, or directly contact admission reps.

Raise your SAT I and do well on SAT II's, I think you've a shot. =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page