Web designing - A major hook?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Web designing - A major hook?
By Progex (Progex) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 09:53 am: Edit

For the past 3 years, I have done corporate/professional web design in my spare time. I fully enjoy doing so, and my portfolio isn't too shabby.

Would web designing as my hobby be considered a hook?

For those who are curious, an older portfolio of my works can be found at: http://www.pristineweb.com (click on Portfolio in the navigation above).

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:12 am: Edit

They look really nice!
Hmm... I'm not sure if it's a very strong hook. but i thought your stuff look nice =)

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

The designs are indeed nice.

Web design is an art form and can be used exactly as a portfolio of photographies or poetry.

However, you need to convery the "uniqueness" of your designs and make sure that the colleges know that your designs are not simple applications of templates from DMX. Do not send your portfolio without explaining your "unique" approach and your philosophy.

Designing web pages is no longer unique but good designs are still rare.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

Those are some great designs.

By Progex (Progex) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:26 pm: Edit

"Do not send your portfolio without explaining your "unique" approach and your philosophy."

How should I include my website works in my college application? Just include URLs (I doubt that the adcoms will even bother taking a look at the URLs because of time-- But what do I know)?

Thank you all for your kind comments, I appreciate it. :)

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Progex~

I would suggest a combination of URLs in a letter describing your approach and add a few nicely printed color screenshots.

They may not take the time to "go check it out" but they will know that you're proud of your work and could withstand the scrutiny.

Despite the fact that web design is NOT unique, you may be the only one who decided to make the effort to attach some examples. :)

By Progex (Progex) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Much thanks, Xiggi! :)

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

I would suggest printing them out on a high quality printer and sending a few screenshots in.

By Progex (Progex) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

I just hope that in 2 years that I do go to college, my designs won't be outdated! lol :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page