Is jewish or middle-eastern considered minority?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Is jewish or middle-eastern considered minority?
By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

are they? that or slavic? if so, are they given the same weight as african american or latino?

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

prolly not... as when you check off the ethnic it might just be 'white'...

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

what if you put "other" then mid-eastern?

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:55 am: Edit

I always thought Middle-Eastern people are Asian except people from Turkey, but I could be wrong.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 02:00 am: Edit

geographically yes, racially no.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 02:40 am: Edit

Being Jewish only helps at schools that do not have many Jews, like Vanderbilt. It won't help at ivies which all have over 20% jewish pop.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:49 am: Edit

what other schools has a small jewish pop?

By Spartan858585 (Spartan858585) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Middle Eastern should definetly have its own ethnicity box on college applications because marking white on your apps when you are really Middle Eastern does not paint a clear picture of who you are or what you look like. At least there should be a box where you can mark other and then a line where you can explain that you are Middle Eastern.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:05 pm: Edit

does it help you gain admission though in the end?

By Obh100 (Obh100) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

"Middle Eastern should definetly have its own ethnicity box on college applications because marking white on your apps when you are really Middle Eastern does not paint a clear picture of who you are or what you look like. At least there should be a box where you can mark other and then a line where you can explain that you are Middle Eastern."

posted by Spartan, I think you can just tell by someone's name whether their Middle Eastern or not, but it would be tremondously unfair to have that, imagine if you have a bigot admissions officer? I think admissions should be blind, you don't know names, nor race, it should be based on wealth, because they did a survey, 80% of African Americans going to the US News top 50 come from mean household incomes of 60,000 or more? Hows that help the poor????

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page