In-state vs. Out-of-state application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: In-state vs. Out-of-state application
By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

i find this a weird and probably idiotic question, but it just crossed my mind. are your chances of getting accepted higher if you apply in your home state or out of state? the reasonable answer should be that it should not matter. i've come across certain messages from people saying that the chances of acceptance for certain colleges are are lower because of the state they come from. would somebody please explain this concept.

By Mike212 (Mike212) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

I have that same question - A specific example I know of is that Pace University in New York gives priority to those who live on the West coast, and states other than New York... I think it depends on where exactly you apply~ but not entirely sure.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

For many public universities, your chances of being admitted in your home state are significantly higher than out of state. Out of state residents generally need higher GPA's and test scores to even be considered and then the schools tend to admit only low numbers of out of state and thus those out of state applicants with high GPA's and test scores are competing with each other for a very limited number of seats. For private schools it generally does not make a difference except that out of state may even sometimes have an advantage if they are from a region where the school has a low number of or no prior applicants and it would like to expand its national presence in that area.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

It only makes sense that public colleges and universities would favor students from their own states. After all, it is state tax funding which keeps them afloat, so naturally, the children of those very taxpayers should be the first ones to benefit. Wouldn't you make sure you were able to feed your own children before inviting the kid next door to partake at your supper table?

So yes, I would say that your chances for admission are probably better at the public institutions in your own state. There are some schools that my be exceptions to this rule, but I couldn't begin to tell you which ones.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page