AP Classes for Ivies -- Important?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: AP Classes for Ivies -- Important?
By Progex (Progex) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 09:30 am: Edit

I'm in my junior year of HS now, and I will not be taking any Honors/AP classes (except for Honors English). However, I may be taking Honors/AP classes in my senior year.

How will this affect my placement into the Ivy schools?

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:06 am: Edit

Depends. If you school offers only a few honors/AP classes, it's fine. But if everyone else takes 5 AP classes while you have none, the counselor's rec won't look too good.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

it might kill your class rank if other kids are taking all honors and/or APs and you only have one, that is given your school offeres them.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:32 pm: Edit

For the ivies, take the most challenging academic courses available in your school and ace them -- your competition will.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

If honors English is the only accelerated course your school offers and you took it, you are "maxing out" your courseload and will be fine. However, if your school has 20 AP courses and honors in every subject and you are not taking them, you will have a REALLY hard time getting admitted into any ivy league considering kids who do all APs are rejected all the time.

By Progex (Progex) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

I see, now, how does the adcom know that my school does not offer AP's for each and every class?

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

This info. will be asked on the school counselor recommendation form. Most ask for a listing of all available AP and honors courses, then the question "Did this student take the most academically challenging classes available?" with a series of responses ranging from Yes, through Yes, the majority available, down to No, none of those available. AP's also show up on the school profile included with your transcript.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page