Have you ever tutored?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Have you ever tutored?
By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

i'm 16 years old and i'm a peer tutor at my high school. i want to make a couple of bucks and stop asking my parents for money every time i go to the movies or something of the like. the thing is i really can't get a job working in a grocery store or something similar because it takes too much time and i'm busy with studies and extracurricular activities. i was thinking of tutoring for money, but the problem is that i dont know how to start. do i just put up posters, hand out flyers, or what? since most of the people here are in college or close to graduating from high school i imagine that some of you must have done tutoring for money some time in your life. again i'm just wandering how you got started. i think it will be a pretty good opportunity. thanks again.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

What subject(s) are you interested in tutoring?

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

I tutored this year and I will be tutoring next year. It is good money, I make $30 an hour :)

I was lucky, ask teachers (possibly middleschool ones as well) if they need students who want tutoring. Parents ask their teachers to have someone tutor their kids, and the teachers find some high school student to tutor for them.

I was lucky, the ESL teacher at my school knew I was a good student and just asked me one day if I wanted to tutor someone out of the blue. Also, my Latin teacher gets high school students to tutor freshmen and middleschool students.

Other people I know got tutoring jobs from guidance counselors, you could possibly try them too.

By Lame (Lame) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:45 am: Edit

I was a peer tutor at my school--do you have the same system ( you have to sit in a class for 1 period per day tutoring kids )? I also tutored people outside of school. At my school, the counseling office sends out forms to the AP classes for people who would like to tutor--the forms include your name/number/topics you can tutor. The program is announced at school then people just contact the office when they need a tutor. I got several jobs through this. Also, in my peer tutoring program, I talked to several of the failing-but-capable students in the class and gave them my contact info. which also landed me jobs. Another thing--once you get one 'client' and have built trust with them, chances are the failing-types have failing-type friends, so tell the person you tutor to spread the word. Btw, a reasonable hourly charge is $8-$12.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:09 pm: Edit

yep i did it for pay for a couple of weeks, then decided to do it as a volunteer (when i was paid i made $40 an hour). Seek out kids with flyers, and ask around some teachers if they have weak students in the area you want to tutor in. Leave some flyers with them to distribute throughout their classes.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

thanks again. you guys have been a lot of help. i'm intrested in tutoring science or math. its intresting how you guys came up with different charges but i guess that depends on some other factors. i thought that the charge of $8-$12 is pretty fair.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page